• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV3 160 color washed out

superdj23

I have a JV3 160 sp. Recently, I began noticing some issues with color apparently dropping out on my prints. I can't seem to pin point the exact color. Basically after varying lengths of printing the color almost appears to be printing at 50%. this can happen after a few inches of printing or a few feet of printing. Sometimes the color actually comes back after a few inches of the washed out look. The printer is on level ground and it seems to print fine on normal speed. But the lack of speed is killing me. Could this be a damper issue?

ChicagoGraphics

I had that same thing happen on my JV3 and it was the encoder strip and sensor, clean them and see if that doesn't fix your problem. The sensor is located behind the slider board, when you remove the sensor do it very carefully.

superdj23

What do you clean the encoder strip with? I do see a couple of spots where it looks like some ink is on there.

ChicagoGraphics

Use something light like a mixture of water and alcolol on a clean rag, you can also use Contact Cleaner it's for electronics it drys fast and safe for all plastics. But what ever you do don't use to much of it just a little on a rag.

MikePro

my money is on ink dropout.
your test pattern printing 100%? your ink cartridges full? (or at least >1 on your levels. heck, forget what it registers... just pull the cart out, and turn it over. if a noticeable amount of ink stirs from one end of the bag to the other, then you're >1)

post pics of test print and enhanced/enlarged photos of the error in your prints to confirm. you should see distinct lines in the print if only half the head is printing, or no lines at all but noticeable lack of c/m/y/k if it is an entire head misfiring.

printer is fed via a light siphon-pressure of ink. when the flow stops, so does certain dots of color in your prints. can either be from air bubbles in your ink lines, cracked head manifolds, bad o-rings in dampers, bad dampers in general, bad seals between damper and ink lines, bad ink pump not refreshing the siphon (same can happen when capping station doesn't make a proper seat on the printhead), etc. also, sometimes a cart will register 1, but really be empty. easier to start there and narrow-down your diagnosis... if I'm correct with your issue.

noted: that encoder strip issues usually restricts the misplaced color droplets to the area below contamination. if your entire print is missing color across the entire y-axis, unless your entire encoder strip has ink smeared across it, then the issue is most likely ink-supply.