• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV3-160 Ran out of ink!? (Lyson)

loganBeckwithiv

So I bought my JV3-160s used early this spring and has been working like a champ! Test prints have always been very good and all heads were supposedly.. replaced under a service contract by advantage not to long before I bought it. I received some ink with it when I bought it (about 2 whole sets) all OEM but one. Well I've used all the OEM ones up and had been using triangle ink since then.

Well I never used the one Lyson yellow I have had and I ran out and was in a pinch so I put it in.
Well the other day I noticed it was at 1 so I had a new Triangle Yellow ready to go. So while I was printing yesterday (60ft print) I noticed with about 5 ft left that my colors were Wayyyy off. Yellow was not firing. So I concluded it was out of ink. After installing a new yellow I couldn't get it to print yellow even after filling ink 10+ times. Yellow is completely missing from test prints.:banghead:

So now Ive used a syringe to pull the ink through and air out and still nothing. Right now I've got the head soaking with the printer off. I was just wondering if I am on the right path or am I just going to need to get a new head. I have attached a test print showing no yellow. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

:thankyou:

Attachments

• 2011-10-07_17-44-30_229.jpg
    2011-10-07_17-44-30_229.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 88

MikePro

looks like I might switch over to Lyson due to a very sweet deal offered to me by Midwest. Quick search of old topics brought this thread back to my attention and was wondering what your resolution was. Did you get the head working again or completely replaced it?

my best guess @ your problem:
3rd party inks may boast plug-and-play with OEM, but you were asking for trouble by mixing Triangle and Lyson. Regardless, I always flush out the system before adding new ink, "plug-n-play" or not. Doesn't waste too much ink, but I feel more confident that my system is "clean".
Long nozzle wash, followed by a head wash, followed by a fillupink should have fixed your problem. I doubt you fried your head, just gummed up the works.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I've run into this before a few times over the years with both Triangle cartridges and OEM Mimaki cartidges. Actually had it happen again just recently with a Triangle yellow JVV cartridge. I can near guarantee this is what happened to you. These cartridges have a mechanical empty tag that signals the printer to refuse to use the cartridge anymore. This is a mechanical device that works independent of the chip. Once it triggers a microswitch in the cartridge slot the printer will no long be able to use the cartridge and immediatley sets the chip to 0/empty. There is a long plastic plate stuck to one side of the ink bag inside the cartridge that when the cartridge is empty it sticks a tab out the side triggering the printer to stop using that cartridge.

Unknown to many - if you break this tab off - a cartridge will continue to work at ink level 1 indefinitley. You can actually pull a cartridge that has been run down to 1 but not empty - take that chip and put it on a new cartridge and it will still use the entire new cartridge - will just stay at 1 until it emties enough to actually trigger the mechanical empty tab.

Anyways I have had a few cartridges over the years where the white tab that triggers empty was either broken off or came loose inside the cartridge causing the printer to truly suck the cartrdige totally dry. Sadly when this happens the printer thinks it still is getting ink and keeps right on printing. Check the cartrdige that was in when it ran dry - the tab will either be broken off or loose in the cartridge. It's on the chip side about 3 inches from the inside near the bottom.

If it's not this then it must be some odd ink compatability problem between the Lyson and Triangle. Does not seem that it would be that bad though but it could be.

signswi

You'll probably need to do a fill ink or two and waste a crap load of ink, sorry. JV3 does it's fill ink on every line.

Common problem with this type of cartridge and why anyone running a JV3 should go bulk.