• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV3-160 SP cyan overspray and odd test print

D-lux1

Hello

I'm having issues with a JV3-160 SP. It way oversprays cyan at first then after a while oversprays about 50% less but enough to ruin anything with cyan in it and half of the cyan test print comes out slanted and jagged and seems to have some deflection. The head and dampers have been replaced and ink has been swaped in and out. It's had nozzle and head cleanings. It started mid summer and i tried anti-static spray and dryer sheets and a humidifier so i don't think it's static. Here are some pics of a test print. I'm using Wasatch softrip 6.2. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Test print cyan.jpg
    Test print cyan.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 209
  • Test print all.jpg
    Test print all.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 189

MrSalumi

I am not familiar with those machines but the heads are the same as on my roland I believe. From what I see you have a couple of issues. First both of the cyan channels look like they are deflecting a bit, which accounts for the missing lines in the test prints. The left channel is very strange. My guess would be some sort of inner head mis alignment (not the actual head but the crystal inside). Good luck!

MikePro

its not static if the issue is isolated within a single channel of your 8-channel printer setup. ...most likely a dying printhead, unfortunately.
to diagnose if it is a printhead/connection issue, try a data swap to see if the issue travels with it.

old thread here, with data swap advice for similiar issue.

i've also seen similiar issues when inputting extreme values into alignment procedures. not sure if that's the case, i'm just spitballin'.
another random theory, is, that it could just be a batch of ink that has settled and easily fixed by flushing your K and refilling/replacing with a brand new cartridge.
always worth a shot before an expensive head replacement.

artbot

the bent pattern is usually a head going bad. but like mentioned, i'd do a data swap to see if it follows the slider board ports vs the head.

MikePro

just seems odd that, not only is the pattern bent/squiggly, but it is squarely offset, misaligned, from the rest of the test pattern. ...and the other half/channel is printing "perfectly", aside from a few deflections, and appears to be properly aligned.

have you had any major head-strikes/media jams lately?
do you do your own alignments?
if it's not a bad printhead, i'd bet $10 that a 17.0 variable has been input in there somewhere where a 1.7 was the correct value.

oya, and I forgot to mention... Welcome to Signs101 from Racine, WI. :Welcome:
...don't be "that guy". make sure to follow-up with this thread with your solution, whatever it may be.

D-lux1

Replaced head with no change, but also did a data swap in which cyan still looked bad even tho it was hooked up to the black data stips. Which makes it look like a bad head.
About the bad varriable idea do you mean a bad allignment varriable? If so the data swap would have had the cyan looking good right?
Is it possible a power outage or surge could have messed up some software?

MikePro

Replaced head with no change, but also did a data swap in which cyan still looked bad even tho it was hooked up to the black data stips. Which makes it look like a bad head.
About the bad varriable idea do you mean a bad allignment varriable? If so the data swap would have had the cyan looking good right?
Is it possible a power outage or surge could have messed up some software?

yeah, alignment value I mean :)
if data swap with K-C moved the scattered pattern to the Black and made the Cyan look better, then it would be a data issue (alignment values included). if there was no change in the nozzle fires, aside from printing out of place (which is expected, because your printer still thinks the heads are connected in proper order), then you have now isolated the issue to the printhead itself.
***check your ribbon cables for any defects, such as creases and especially for ink droplets. an easy way to fry a printhead is via the ribbon cables' ability to take a droplet of ink/cleaning solution and lead it directly to the connection on the printhead itself, bridging a connection between pins and causing miscommunication of data and/or shorting it out.

beyond that, ...you replaced the printhead today and there was no change in the pattern?!? wow, that sucks. Then you might have some board issues but I would first try flushing the system and putting in fresh ink cartridges to confirm its not just bad ink. edited: if not board issues, a new printhead acting like this could also be result from bad ribbon cables.

MikePro

You could try "my" method of reviving it. It worked very well for me. Here is the post

OMG that is awesome! I've always removed/flushed by hand with syringes, BUT using the head's normal printing operation to flush cleaning solution through the head is GENIUS! I've got 5 heads here that were firing at 50-75% when I replaced and I never had the heart to simply throw away.

thinking i'll give it a go next time I need a head replacement.
thanks for the share!