• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV3-160S Head 2 Not putting ink out

adseureka

Hi All,
We've had his machine for a long time and its manufacture date was 2002 so its by no means new. I have done routine maintenance with head soaks, wiping heads outsides with mimaki cleaning fluid, and cleaning wiper/wiper gears. Did a damper change this morning and now it wont even print cyan or yellow(which share a head on this model). The tech I know recommends a nozzle soak for EVERYTHING. I have a feeling something else is up and wouldn't mind doing some cleaning on this printer. Anyone have any suggestions?

P.s. Just yesterday we were having some extreme difficulty with overspray/angled nozzle issues. I haven't ruled out dying printhead but id like to exhaust my avenues first.
I can be reached by phone or email also if you have time to walk me through something.

MikePro

if you changed your damper and then this issue arose, then you can isolate your issue to one of three possibilities:
1) vapor lock, air bubble inside the printhead that is killing the siphon-effect of the ink supply.
2) air bubble inside of the ink line, also killing the siphon-effect of the ink supply
3) broken printhead manifold (the black tip the damper sets into/onto), also killing the siphon-effect of the ink supply

#1 & #2 is easily solved via loooong nozzle-wash followed by fillupink modes in the printer menu. assuming you have a proper seal on the capping station, your ink pumps should be able to clear the air bubble no problem. Nozzle wash is just to ensure that your printhead has not become gunked-up during this long period of being unable to cycle the ink.

#3 is a PITA, but only a $45 replacement part but essentially requires you to go through the process of replacing a printhead to fix. these are easily broken when you do not remove/insert dampers completely straight up/down and/or simply fiddling around inside of the printhead carriage the dampers are easily bumped and manifold snapped/cracked.
the fix:
manifold separates from the printhead via a couple of screws and a tight seal on two black rubber gaskets/washers, once you're able to remove the printhead from the machine. replace with new manifold, reinstall the printhead, and run alignments.

adseureka

getting somewhere

I think it is a capping station issue. Tried a manual draw on Friday and I heard air coming through capping station on head #2, leaned on carriage slightly and tried draw again. I had ink flow when pressure was applied to carriage. Working to find my issue's source. I have a spot on the print test draw that is missing and a spot that's angled nozzle. Loooong head soak necessary?

Attachments

• Test Draw.jpg
    Test Draw.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 51

MikePro

yeah, do a long soak to try and clear that up.
as far as your capping station is concerned, try bumping the cap upwards a bit for a tighter fit when parked.

last time I did this, I just ran a nozzle wash, and when the carriage moved out from the capping station I removed the black rubber cap from the capping station and reseated it with minimal pressure. (I don't know if you have the aftermarket-type of caps, where the black cap is not removeable, but if you do then you should still be able to to pull it up slightly...i think)
once the cap has been shifted upwards slightly, finish setting the nozzle wash and the head should make a firm connection against the captop once again, and will cycle the ink properly upon completion of the wash.