• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV3-160S misreading/not reading ink cartridges as empty

polishdan

Our Mimaki has this annoying issue of not registering when our cyan ink cartridge is empty. So we have to constantly keep an eye on the ink level via our RIP software and preemptively switch out for a new ink cartridge when we get down to 2% otherwise the printer will just keep plotting away without any cyan but all the other as if it had a full cartridge in there.

Lately, we've also been getting some false reads for just a second at a time of the black cartridge not being in. This of course pauses printing and you then have to hit REMOTE of the printer to resume. This happens randomly without any rhyme or reason.

We've gone through three different ink manufacturers now and have back-up cartridge chips and seeing as how these issues are always with the same two inks (cyan and black) it's obviously not an issue with the ink itself but with the printer reading them.

I'm guessing the problem lies with a misread of where the cartridge chips meet the components inside the printer but I don't know for sure. Might someone explain to me like I'm five 1) what the causes might be of the printer not reading the cartridges properly 2) what the parts in the printer that make contact with the cartridge chips are actually called (so I know what to google for parts) and 3) how I would go about cleaning and/or replacing them.

Anyone have these issues before?