Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JV3-160s No color in prints

Discussion in 'Mimaki' started by briderx, May 14, 2009.

1. briderx

briderx Member

Apr 21, 2009
    I am VERY new at digital printing, but we have had this printer for a couple years.

Yesterday, the printer just stopped printing. Colors stopped coming out. We ran some nozzle cleaner through the lines and let them sit overnight to possibly clear the the paint. That didn't work. We now have a few jobs backed up and no printer.. Any ideas?! I will be checking this thread throughout the morning... Thanks guys.. and gals.

Tags:
  2. ColesCreations

ColesCreations Member

Dec 15, 2006
    What shows in the test prints?

3. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    Your carts are probably empty?

4. briderx

briderx Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Nothing shows in the test prints. The lines are blank. Cartridges aren't empty..

5. 1banner

1banner Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Check seals around heads, had 1 bad last year,(a hairline crack) black stopped and just replaced whole capping station...been fine since.

6. briderx

briderx Member

Apr 21, 2009
    I'll have him check it after break.. Thanks for the Heads Up.

7. briderx

briderx Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Well, it wouldn't make sense if all colors didn't work. One color, plausable, but a crack on all of them isn't likely...??

8. P Wagner

P Wagner Very Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    If cleanings do not change the test draws (no ink in any of the colors), I would suspect that the problem is electrical in nature. That would point to the source issue being printed circuit boards, fuses, or data cable related.

Bob

9. briderx

briderx Member

Apr 21, 2009
    I'm figuring data cable is okay to overlook, as during "test print" built into the machine, it still doesn't print. So, the other two to check would be fuse or circuit board.. Fuses shouldn't be hard to find.. Is there a way to check the board?

10. P Wagner

P Wagner Very Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Sorry, by 'data cables' I was referring to ribbon cables in the carriage.

Other than fuses, I would say that the next diagnostic steps should be performed by an experienced field service engineer.

Bob

11. briderx

briderx Member

Apr 21, 2009
    alright.. not a problem. i just dont like the service tech. Every time he says "you need to replace a board" I end up getting it working VIA software or a calibration.. He's charged the company so much money in repairs, it's ridiculous..

12. jdigital

jdigital Member

Jun 30, 2008
    when you say "lines are empty" do you mean the whole ink lines? If so you might want to check your ink lines. I've had a similar problem. What I did was take my ink line off at the pump and using a syringe, lightly pull ink through, then reattached at the pump. (make sure you heads are capped before you pull ink through) I did a couple of "ink fill ups" and I got ink to show up on my test draws

13. briderx

briderx Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Ha ha.. yeah, that's EXACTLY what we did.. So far, we got 4 lines working good. The last two aren't doing so well. We're replacing the caps and hoping for the best.. Thank you all for the responses! Much appreciated.