• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV3-160SP (2x4) ink level issues

color_zone

I looked back a few pages to see if I could find a thread with a similar issue and didn't see one, so if this has already been addressed someplace please direct me there!

A few weeks ago I had a black cartridge run low and I got the standard warning message. I had several partials left over from a previous job so when it ran out I put in one of the partials and kept going. I got the same low ink message when I put the partial in, but I didn't figure it was a big deal since it was a partial. Eventually I had both black cartridges go so I put in all new ones and they ran fine for a while, but then one day I got a message that both inks were low. That seemed strange because it hadn't been very long and we weren't running a lot at the time, so I pulled them. Surprise: they were both at least half full still.

Fast forward a few more weeks to now. After fighting with partials and new cartridges for the past couple of weeks, the machine constantly reads that the black ink levels are both low. I put in two brand new cartridges on Monday and the second I put them in, the machine started beeping that they would run out soon. I've been trying to pinpoint whether it's the machine or bad chips, but I'm not having much luck.

I don't use OEM inks -- we're running an ecosolvent made by Solaris. I had a problem once ages ago with a bad chip in a magenta cartridge which they were nice enough to replace, but I'm not crazy about the idea that this is just bad chips. I've used inks from different batches made at different times from two different orders and I don't know what the odds are on getting 6 or 8 cartridges from different runs with bad chips. At this point however, I am willing to entertain the idea that the chips in the cartridges have screwed up my printer.

So... has anyone ever had an issue like this? Would my best course of action at this point be to get some Mimaki cartridges and see how the machine reacts? Am I totally screwed or is this fixable? The machine won't even let me run a basic head cleaning since it thinks the black inks are low. I would appreciate any guidance! Thanks!

jwbwga

low ink indicators

We are currently experiencing this same issue with yellow. What did you do to solve your issue?
Thanks

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Not sure why it is running the chips indicated levels down so fast. It will not prevent the printer from printing though - it can print indefinitely when the chip reads level 1 as long as the tab on the cartridge that signals true empty does not pop out. That being said though you will still run into the situation you are in, when it is at level 1 you cannot initiate an ink fill, cleaning, etc.

For some reason something is going on that the machine thinks it is going through much more black than it really is and it therefore programs the chip to a lower level much faster than it should. The only thing I can really think of that could be the issue is maybe the chips are programmed with the wrong total amount of ink. In other words most users are using 440ml cartridges but there are also 220ml cartridges. I know the chips can be programmed to make the printer think there is a specific amount of ink, even 500ml or more so maybe the chips are being misprogrammed for 220ml or something. I do know most aftermarket ink makers are aware that there can be an occasional issue with a chip and most will send a replacement chip to install on a cartridge when you contact your dealer you get the ink from. It is possible that Solaris buys the chips in bulk pre-programmed and it is also possible they program the chips themselves. Either way they might have a bad run of chips. I'd send them an email letting them know what is happening and also contact your dealer with the same information. My guess is bad chips though since it is only happening on one color but is happening with both slots and more than one cartridge.

Edit to add - ... I feel like an idiot. I just realized you replied to a post from nearly 2 years ago. I seriously doubt you will get a reply from the original thread starter. My reply might still help you as well though.

MikePro

machine detects the level of the ink via combination of chip registry and a switch that makes contact with the bag of ink inside of the cartridge.
bad bag, or bad switch, could be causing false registration of ink levels.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
It would not be a switch or bag problem. The switch (gets pushed by the tab that pops out when the bag is empty) is strictly for ink end. Once that is triggered the printer writes a 0 ink level to the chip and stops and will not print until the cartridge is replaced.