• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Jv3-160sp help

RSX_FTW

Hello, new to the forums. I have a JV3-160 printer not connecting to Onyx. (Error 11 Cannot initialize printer.) Printer connected using 1394 port. What test can I run or do to make sure its not the cord or perhaps firmware? We had an power outage and that's when the printer would not connect. Anybody might know or this has happen too? Thanks.

First step is to go into the windows device manager and make sure that the ports for the Mimaki are showing up in there - you should see two: Printer Port and Status Port. If windows is not seeing the Ports then there is no way Onyx will.

If the ports are not seen then go to the Add/Remove programs item in the control panel and remove the Mimaki drivers. Reinstall them and then try connecting the printer again.

If this doesn't work then try testing your firewire cable and PCs firewire with another device (vintage iPod, Firewire HD or CD burner, etc). If this checks out OK then you may have damaged one if the chips on the Card in the printer - this can definitely happen if the printer gets a power spike thru the firewire cable. If the card is damaged I'm not sure who currently is the beat at repairing these.

BTW, is the error 11 showing in Onyx or on the printer LCD?

WB

I've had the exact same thing happen to our 160sp after a power outage.. ended up being the firewire card on the printer. Hopefully that's not your problem but that's what happened to me.