• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV3-160SP Pull Battery to reset Date?

CRoWYoTE

I understand that pulling the battery on the motherboard to reset the date allows you to use slightly outdated inks. Any problems with this other
then having to reset all the basic settings of the machine?

GARY CULY

hey there has been other posts about this,i cant honestly remeber the other problems right now ,but i know there are other things it does....im suprised others havent chimed in on this ,mayby this bump up will get some response in the morning sir

iSign

I understand that pulling the battery on the motherboard to reset the date allows you to use slightly outdated inks. Any problems with this other
then having to reset all the basic settings of the machine?
I didn't chime in when I saw this yesterday, because I don't have much to offer & what I will say is probably not what you want to hear... but I would never do that. Pain sucks, but if a genie gave me 3 wishes, I wouldn't wish for no pain, because I could still cut my finger off & if I couldn't feel pain, maybe I'd end up cutting 2 off...

The ink timer is there because old ink gets congealed & the viscosity becomes unsuitable for printing eventually. Does it turn bad the day the clock stops? NO, of course not... but if you manage your ink purchasing & rotating habits & buy fresh inks only, turn your stock & don't over buy... what's the worst thing? maybe throwing away $25 - $50 in ink once or twice a year...

But circumventing the timer so you can use slightly outdated inks, means you can also use not-so-slightly outdated inks too... so when are you going to draw the line? ...& if you are willing to draw a line, how do you know you will live with it? Mimaki drew a line & made it real easy to follow... but you don't want to follow it... so maybe you will write a post that says "slightly" outdated inks... but when it comes to throwing away money... you might not even follow your own rules & eventually you need a $2000 printhead, or 2... or 3

ColesCreations

I see iSign is skeptical.

We reset the date on ours, less than a month after we bought it, more than 2 years ago.

We have not had any problems relating to the date on the inks, and have used inks that were a year or more out of date, but sealed at the time of install.

Our supplier only have had inks that were nearly expired or expired anyway, and it would be very expensive to keep only inks within date. Would have to throw away most cartridges half full. I helped a fellow nearby Mimakiowner a year ago or so too, we shared the suppliers stock of expired ink, got 20 cartridges at half price... That's more than $25 saved... More like $1500 saved... And ink was just as good as the "new" ones.

You can set the date at whatever you feel comfortable with after resetting the battery, no other important setting get wiped out. You can for example set the date at 6 months ago, which will keep them working 6 months extra. Ours was set 4 years earlier, as the inks don't last longer than a few months in the printer anyway, the expiration date is crap, and is only there to allow Mimaki to sell more ink.

I know I will get negative reactions to this, but it would be interesting to see if anyone have gotten problems from this reset or from using chips without expiry date, not just the scepticals that have not tried for themselves...

gabagoo

I agree with Isign to a certain degree and thats why I have not pulled the battery. I am sure the inks will go way past the due dates, but where do you draw the line. Sort of reminds me in a way back when Duracoat came out with cartridges for the Edge. My Gerber rep tried scaring the heck out me about ruining my head and the poor quality of the duracoat films. Then I read the Duracoat literature and it clearly stated that it out performed Gerber film for outdoor durability ( or something like that). I thought, theres no way Gerber would let that fly unless it was true, so I did try them and stuck with them and still use them. The ink issue is a little different although I feel the dates are designed in a way to increase ink sales when it may not be 100% necessary. I am not a big production shop and saving money is very important but not at the expense of those heads.

Neil

Well Mimaki themselves have seen fit to extend their short expiration dated carts by way of hacking their own firmware.
This has obviously been brought about by people refusing to purchase the short dated inks.

Case in point: I bought a brand new CJV printer/cutter in June/July which came loaded with 8 x 440ml carts.
Half of the inks were due to expire within 8 weeks.
Then when I recently reordered more inks they were from the same dated batch!

I was going to send them back but heard the they had a new firmware to "extend" the use by date by 6 months.
Now my machine sees the expired date and gives the option to keep using the cartridge.

Not sure if they're doing this for JV3's but they are for JV33's and CJV's.

I've used bulk ink with re-fillable carts for several years up till now and have seen first hand what happens when inks get too old. Usually starts with starvation half way through big prints and ends with the micro filter inside the head becoming too clogged to allow proper ink flow.

I'm of the opinion that the OEM inks will stay fresh in their foil bladders for a lot longer than bulk inks in half empty bottles and half empty carts with breather holes in them.
I'd be happy to use the OEM carts after expiry - especially if they are discounted.
TBH I was just about to pull the battery on this machine when the tech arrived with the firmware upgrade.
(shh, it's still under warranty)!

So go for it I say. First see if they have a new firmware "upgrade" for your machine. If not, I'd pull the battery - the inks are fine.

ColesCreations

I know many others than me have reset their date, but have not chipped in here. Is this because they are afraid of warranty issues and service agreements?

We never had a good warranty, and don't have a service agreement, so did not have those worries.