• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV3-160SP Weird Head Issue

slopoke

I've been working on bring a JV3 back from the dead and have run into an interesting problem with my cyan head. I've attached a photo - it's the test draw marked "head 1". After giving up on that head and putting in a new one, I have the same area missing - test draw marked "head 2". At this point I am thinking it's the head cables so I swap both of the cyan cables for brand new ones....test draw looks exactly the same. Does anyone have any suggestions for the next step in diagnosing this problem?

Thanks.

IMG_1528.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

artbot

two things, have you drawn a vacuum manually at the waste tube with a syringe (not relying on the underpowered pump. they often have vapor lock that looks similar to this).

also, did you use the same head manifold for both heads? a clogged head manifold can leave a blank spot in the middle.

slopoke

Hmm, no I didn't draw any ink through - that is a brand new pump so I didn't really even think of it. I'll give it a try just to make sure.

No manifold sharing, those are two unique head/manifold combo's. Dampers are also brand new.

jfiscus

Rap Master
We had a similar issue recently and it was that the seal on the capping station had finally worn out.

slopoke

I was just thinking this morning that I hadn't tried replacing the capping station, either way it probably needs done anyway. Pulling ink through didn't work so hopefully this will solve it.

Thanks!

artbot

to eliminate if it is the capping station, have a partner press upward on the capping station while pulling a vacuum. also, when you were pulling a vacuum, did you hear a light hiss, or did the syringe seem to not pull with resistance? i'd prove or disprove if it is the capping station before swapping out.

slopoke

Well, I did a test on pulling ink through the existing capping station, there were no apparently issues with it, however just to be sure I put a new capping station on. Pulled ink through the bottom on the new one...and still have the same problem?! I'm really at a loss now, I would have thought any one of these new parts should have fixed the problem.

artbot

it's not necessarily if the cap is pulling at all or not, it's how it's pulling. it may not be at fault. as for making sure if it's performing perfectly, you'll need to get the room completely quiet. no ac, no computer fans running, nada. then when you pull the vacuum you should not be able to hear any air noise at all. i've used a stethoscope before to locate air leaks on printers to isolate if the air is above, left, right, etc.

also, there's no damage to the bottom of the heads? and manifolds are perfect. do eliminate any kind of data issue at that channel, at this point, i'd do a data swap to see of the missing lines will migrate to a new position.

Good suggestions from Artbot - Looking at the pictures this does indeed look like some odd Capping issue - Check all the Capping positions under the #ADJUST menu and in particular make sure that the Caps are separating slightly from the Heads in the ABSORB position. Also check the FLASH position and make sure that there is a really good gap here and that Station stays in it's lowest position (i.e. is not getting activated by the Carriage) - You may have some problem where the Heads are dragging the Caps and leaving a drip of ink on the bottom of the Head.

I'm not sure that a data/connection issue can cause this result but just to rule it out try swapping the magenta and cyan cable positions at the slider board as a test.