• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV3-75 spII - Set a Cartridge - HELP

vroongraphics

Hi. I tried to do a WASH (by mistake) and did not have cleaning solution cartridges. I turned off machine and restarted. On startup, it asks for "INK TYPE" (I selected my configuration, which is 4 color Sol), and then I get a message "SET A CARTRIDGE" with KKMMCCYY blinking....I tried restarting, same thing every time! Of course, I did remove all cartridges a number of times, and reset them in....no luck!

Any ideas??

artbot

almost.... screwed. (if i understand correctly what's going on)

from what i know the firmware doesn't know how to go backward after choosing ink types fills and cleaning stuff.

if you don't want to waste a ton of ink and or cleaning fluid, just unhook your pump lines... put and empty cleaning cart in the machine. let it think it's pumping cleaning fluid (ink is still in the lines and dampers). then it will tell you to rest your inkset....

blah blah blah... you get it.

when done, hook back the pumps and the printers is none the wiser.

vroongraphics

okay, I will try that. I am still waiting for a reply from my tech, but it is weekend, so I may be on hold until Monday. I need to order in some cleaning cartridges, so I may need to do this fix as a solution in the long run....I appreciate your response!

artbot

just take out the current ink cart that is in printer. unscrew the chip. stick it back in. the printer will think it is a cleaning cart. :)

vroongraphics

artbot. Again, I really appreciate your assistance and taking the time to help me out.

So. which cartridge(s) should I use for this, there are 8 total cartridge slots. The yellow ones have a W/L....are those the ones to use?

drive

Are you inserting partial ink cartridges when reloading the inks? I remember having issues flushing my JV5 with partial cleaning carts. Maybe there's some correlation?

vroongraphics

Hi Drive,

When I decided to try do a WASH (don't ask me why I tried that) it asked me to insert cleaning cartridges....I did not have cleaning cartridges, so I just "shut it down" and when I restarted the printer, it asked me to SET CARTRIDGES (after selecting my inkset). All colors blink on display, and there is no way for me to reset the cartridges. Artbot was kind enough to instruct how to "bypass" the issue, and I have yet to try that. I have spoken with my vendor, and of course they want to sell me about $600 worth of cleaning cartridges (which I was told can be used about 2-3 times). I am considering trying to remove the chips from my old inkset I replaced some time ago and see what happens!

artbot

yikes!!! read some of the threads about making your own cleaning solution. ...not that cleaning solution is the way to get the printer back on line (just trick it into thinking you did the wash!). that $600 in cleaning solution will cost you about $50 as a home brew. you'll never go back to paying for basic solvents.

vroongraphics

Well, guys...I am a complete novice when it comes to solvent printing, and have no clue on where to go from here.

I tried putting chip-less cartridges in, selected my inkset, and STILL NO LUCK...still says "SET A CARTRIDGE" and nothing else happens....

I am flying to Vancouver for a week, and hope to talk to a couple of technicians while I am down there.

I am going storefront next month, and was hoping to show off the Mimaki for doing stickers and decals....even some heat transfer printing.

tbaker

if you have a local service tech give him a call, there is a way to input this in the service menu, telling the printer that you've done an ink fill, and what the ink set is.

Since you can seriously dork up your printer, I'm not going to even recommend that an end user try.

artbot

at this point, i just don't understand what the problem is. maybe i'm reading wrong. proceed with the menu's requests with blank chip spots and unhooked pump lines. hook back the pump lines, put back the chips and the printer is ignorant of the whole process.

tbaker

there are 2 possibilities to get through this, one is to edit the parameters to tell the printer that you've done the clean and fill. ( this I don't recommend for end users, because you can seriously bork stuff if you get something wrong)

The other ( which I just heard today in fact) is that the ink cartridges could be so out of date that the printer errors out on insertion. ( This is extreme, but it happened today to an old jv3-160sp we started working on in our shop with an old old OLD batch of ink)

besides that, I'm out of ideas.

artbot

in the case of the out of date ink chip. just do the "take out the main board battery" thing and your printer will suddenly think it's 2001. and from then on no chip will every expire due to date. i took pictures of the procedure when i did it. maybe i can dig them up.

vroongraphics

Hi guys! Thanks for your advice. At this point, the printer is still DEAD. I bought a Mutoh Valuejet 1204, at cost, from my supplier. They are buying this unit back from me (they will fix it and likely resell it) but at this point, I had no other options.
I am interested in "trying anything" at this point, so if you want to pass on info, my email is: howard@vroongraphics.ca

thinqvisual

jv3-250SP "Set a cartridge KKMMCCYY" Same issue

I have the same issue. Interestingly I have a set of unchipped cleaning cartridges and the printer is not recognizing them when inserted. So, I am stuck. Ideas?

I have tried removing the battery, resetting the date and even downgrading to 1.4 as recommended by someone else.

Error persists and I am stuck with a mountain of prints to do.

tbaker suggested editing parameters. I am fairly technical and up for it.

Ideas?

Thank you all.

Bob

Klassicgrafix

Really old thread. But here you go

Old thread here, but it happened to me to too. It was at the most inopportune time with a massive work load in play and I lost days of productivity and revenue until I found this:

(ed. note: Yes. I do blame the Mimaki for creating such a work-stopping scenario with the simple, seemingly innocent, "wash" request from the menu. You then find yoursefl in this undocumented endless loop, and cannot get out until you resort editing system params below. Nice.)

The Ink Type Change for JV3

SHUT DOWN the JV3
PRESS key "<" ">" AT THE SAME TIME when OPEN THE DEVICE
When the device ready, PRESS KEY "END" 1 time.
Enter into into menu"SYSTEM PARAMETRE"
Choose and enter"Ink 1 parametre".
Look for Item 93 and change the value "3" to "0"
Exit and choose the ink type you want shows on the LCD.
After been choosen, The device will advice you to insert the cartridges. Disregard it and shut down the device directly.
RE-operate 1> ...6> but this time change value "0" to "3".
After set, the device will ask you to insert the cartridges.
insert the proper cartridge.

Chipemulator

the explanation of Klassicgrafix correctThe Ink Type Change for JV3

SHUT DOWN the JV3
PRESS key "<" ">" AT THE SAME TIME when OPEN THE DEVICE
When the device ready, PRESS KEY "END" 1 time.
Enter into into menu"SYSTEM PARAMETRE"
Choose and enter"Ink 1 parametre".
Look for Item 93 and change the value "3" to "0"
Exit and choose the ink type you want shows on the LCD.
After been choosen, The device will advice you to insert the cartridges. Disregard it and shut down the device directly.
RE-operate 1> ...6> but this time change value "0" to "3".
After set, the device will ask you to insert the cartridges.
insert the proper cartridge. 04-30-2011 05:18 PM

regards

Last edited by a moderator: