• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Jv3-75spii Power Surge Help Connection Issue/question

Hi everyone,
I've digging into the deepest and darkest corners of the web and maybe i'm just wording it wrong but i'm having a problem. I'm help some friends get this machine set up, Mimaki JV3-75SPII. They got the machine and a computer (Dell Inspiron 530) for a great price. The combination was already working together in another business before they got it, but they never saw how it was all connected. So, it has two options for connecting it to your computer, a parallel port and a firewire (IEEE-1394 6 Pin). The computer has neither, i believe the machine was actually hooked up to a network switch of some kind. They bought a firewire 6 pin to USB converter and then ran a 6' USB cable to the computer. Once connected the a message on the computer pops up and says power surge on hub port. I did some digging and decided to buy a powered USB hub, reading that this can solve a lot of issues like mine. Well, it didnt work either and my next move is to buy a PCI Firewire card and stick it in. The thing is though they had this combination working at some point (drivers and program installed) without that port or they took the card out but it has all the slot covers in tack. How was it running before??? Everything I've read seems to say it should work converted to USB. Just for curiosity i plugged the USB cable into my laptop, it recognizes it as an unrecognized device, but my point is it doesn't throw a power surge message. So this leaves me to believe that USB 3.0 is in my laptop and that is enough to power it, but the computer i think is USB 2.0 and thats not enough, but why still no luck with the Powered USB Hub? If anyone wants to see that here it the link Amazon.com: AmazonBasics 4 Port USB 3.0 Hub with 5V/2.5A power adapter: Computers & Accessories. I've sent a email to Mimaki and am also left a voice-mail with the technical department.

Am i just doing it wrong and need to scratch the USB idea and go to the PCI Firewire card? Please let me know ASAP as it's driving me insane. Thanks to everyone who reads and helps me out in advanced. I raise a cold one to you!!!