Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JV3 Bi-directional printing issue

Discussion in 'Mimaki' started by Mimaki Mama, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Mimaki Mama

Mimaki Mama Member

Nov 12, 2009
    I'm printing on a JV3-75 SPII. It's 5 years old. I've done all the work on it.

Recently, I changed the black and Cyan print heads. I re-calibrated print.adjust, media comp, plus ALL the maintenance mode print adjusts. (It took hours! ugh!)

The only reason I did ALL the tests is because the uni-directional prints beautifully. However, the bi-directional is creating a blobby, "melted" look to the print.

Printing uni-directionally is not conducive due to time constraints. I need advice on what setting I may have unintentionally switched to cause this prob.
    Thanks in advance.

Tags:
  2. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

Can you post a good close-up picture of what it's doing?

I doubt it's the problem but is the encoder strip clean?

3. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    I know with my jv3 that I can print bidirectional when the heads are on thick, but on thin I can only print uni. I am pretty sure it needs some kind of alignment that a tech can do or is much more complex than the user friendly alignment we all do from time to time.

My machine was origianally set up to print in thin mode (why I have no idea) and when I complained over and over about head strikes they finally came in and told me that after the adjustment I would not be able to print in bi under the thin setting.

4. insignia

Dude that makes zero sense. Every single thing we run on our JV3 (and our JV33 for that matter) is bidirectional with the head set to thin. Somethings awry with your technician to say the least. Are you sure you don't just need to do a bidir print adjust? You do have to dial that in if you change the head height from low to high or vice versa. But it's a 1 minute procedure tops and you can do it, it's an end-user adjustment.

5. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario

so inform me how it is done please, as I cant print bi in low head mode.

6. Rooster

Rooster Very Active Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Edmonton
    Perform a drop position adjustment through the maintenance menu.

7. insignia

beat me to it. PM me if you don't know how to do it, I'll walk you through it.

8. cmyimage

cmyimage New Member

Feb 1, 2010
    yes, when you want to change the pass, you have to clean the encoder strip and encoder sensor first and then adjust the position of the encoder sensor.