• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Jv3 / Flexi 7.6 stops mid-print

Jesse_gvi

"Production MFC Application has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." (Windows XP)

This message keeps popping up and the printer just stops in a random location. I thought I had it beat yesterday after a reboot and opening only Flexi and only using it to print the file. No other programs running, no designing or using the plotter. I ran a complete file (104 MB image) without problems, then when I tried to print the rest of the job today I'm getting the same message.

The last time this happened was with a large tiff for a vehicle wrap.

I checked the firewire and it feels properly seated, but maybe the cord is just bad. I have it running on the ground in one of those cord protector strips.

Any ideas?

Jesse_gvi

I was able to run another part of the job after clearing the preferences and thought my problems were over, but it happened again with the next part. I cleared preferences again and it didn't help.

We tried a shorter firewire cable, but that didn't work. We re-saved it over and over to no avail. I ran another job earlier with no problems.

genericname

I've had this happen a few times. Seems to be a glitch that occurs whenever there's an odd mix of sending, canceling, and saving all at the same time. I cleared the RIP's temp files, rebooted, sent the file through the RIP again, and everything seemed to work out well.

Failing that, it could just be interpreting the TIFF poorly. Could you save your source file as another format and give that a shot?

gabagoo

I've had this happen a few times. Seems to be a glitch that occurs whenever there's an odd mix of sending, canceling, and saving all at the same time. I cleared the RIP's temp files, rebooted, sent the file through the RIP again, and everything seemed to work out well.

Failing that, it could just be interpreting the TIFF poorly. Could you save your source file as another format and give that a shot?

where do you go to remove the rips temp files. I have never done it before, although I have had no problems printing unless I have aborted a job, then I have to hit retry a couple times.
Thanks

Jesse_gvi

where do you go to remove the rips temp files.

You could clear preferences, which would mean you have to open all your toolbars and color palettes again. Start Menu > Flexi > Preference Manager
Unless he meant the finished jobs in the production manager, which you just select and delete.

I'm able to print other things, even a tiff file that's physically smaller, but higher res & file size.

The other file was stopping with Norton uninstalled, so it wasn't that. I called Advantage and they said it might be the firewire card. I ordered a new one and I'm bumping the RAM up 1 gig for 3 gigs total.

genericname

You could clear preferences... Unless he meant the finished jobs in the production manager, which you just select and delete.

Nope! I actually meant the temporary files created by Production Manager, as opposed to those just sitting in the queue. Sometimes these can gunk up the works, so to speak, and while you have nothing listed in Production Manager, it's still trying to deal with some residual files which ends up either stalling prints or just outright not recognizing them. A quick way to find them is to perform a windows search for *.fjb to locate your temp files if they're in an odd location. They should reside in the "jobs" folder in your RIP directory though. For instance, mine's here:

C:\Program Files\PhotoPRINT DX 4.6v1\Jobs\

You may have more than one folder dedicated to the one printer, depending on how you have your RIP set up. Just delete everything in each of the individual folders (but don't delete the folders). This should be done after exiting the program in question of course. You might also try removing the temp files from your layout program. Mine would be located here:

C:\Program Files\PhotoPRINT DX 4.6v1\Temp\

Unlike before, you can just delete everything in this folder, once you've exited the program, and it should run clean as a whistle. Just be sure that you've saved any work you've been doing, and you're ok losing any temporary nonsense that the program and RIP would be holding onto. It's also good to err on the safe side and make a backup of this folder before deleting it. I've never had any issues, but you can never be too safe when it comes to your files.

Last edited:

Jesse_gvi

I use CCleaner. It takes care of those temp files.

So I put in the extra gig of RAM and a new PCI Express Belkin Firewire card.
I sent it to Production Manager, then ripped it, then sent it.

It stopped at 12%.

signswi

I haven't used Flexi but is there a setting where you can tell it how much of the job to bufffer before printing?

Also I hope you followed through an uninstalled Norton, if you really need to run AV on your RIP computer run MS Security Essentials or even better passive scanning solution like ClamWin AV. Norton/McAfee/etc. are wretched.

Jesse_gvi

I uninstalled Flexi and I took off Norton again, then I installed Flexi without the SP2 update. I didn't put Norton back on either. It printed fine this time, but now I'll have to see about putting Norton on and trying it again. It might be that the reinstall of Flexi did the job, but maybe it's just the absence of Norton 360. Or maybe not updating Flexi with Service Pack 2.

At least it's finally printed.