• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV3 Head/cleaning issue HELP!

pensacolasign

Production Manager
My JV3-160sp has a serious issue with it. I went to start printing this morning and immediately noticed the color was wrong. Checked the heads and noticed that the black head was completely blocked. My first thought was I have a problem with the head but after further testing found that the black damper on the docking station will not hold cleaning solution so essentially the black head was getting dried out and there was no way for me to get it fixed with out it being able to hold solution. I disassembled the docking station to see if it was the damper/hose etc. Until now I have not been able to figure what is going on. I have fairly good idea that it is happening post damper because I switched the magenta damper with the black and the far left now the magenta damper but in the black spot did the same thing. Could it be a leaky hose? I have not disassembled the printer before and do not know how the docking station is blocked off when cleaning so it will hold solution. Is there a valve body post docking station? Can anybody help?

MikePro

I wouldn't have been so quick to take it apart, I think there are other posts pertaining to this same issue. Search on the toolbar.

artbot

first diagnose if it is a clog in the line or a pump not pulling vacuum. just like you swapped dampers/lines to diagnose the ink issue. swap pump lines with a position that you know is supplying good flow/vacuum. do a head clean (soft) and observe it the black line flows at the new position or does the clog travel with it to a proven good pump (Y,C, or M).

if the lack of flow/vacuum follows the line, it is most likely a clog right up at the top of the cap tube directly beneath the cap. it won't be visible from the back panel being off. the clog is hidden inside of the capping station. the best way to fix this without drying out everything else is to slide the carriage over. pop off the capping station. just pull the black line off the station leaving the other tubes in tact. drop the black line down so that it can be pulled and available from the back of the printer. replace the capping station.

get a syringe force straight MEK hard into the line. the pressure will blow past the wheels inside of the pump. do this several times. you will feel the pressure get lighter as the clog is gone. if you have pump tube, just toss the dirty line and replace.

the other thing that can cause the lack of flow/vacuum to follow the line is the stainless steel union is leaking air, or the cap/tube interface is leaking air.

if the pump does not pull ink no matter what cap line you put on it, you have a flat spot in the line that goes through the pump. put a new pump tube in the pump. if you are out of pump tube, open it up and rotate the tube to a new position.

as far as blocking lines for soaking/maintenance, you can pinch the lines with tiny c-clamps or spring clamps. later add some micro ball valves.

pensacolasign

Production Manager
Thank you for the reply and suggestions and I am fairly sure that it is not a clog. The problem I'm having is that it will not hold cleaning solution when I go to clean the station. For example went setting up a nozzle wash to clean the clogged black head, when in comes time to fill the stations with solution the m,c,and y dampers hold fluid but the black just drains rapidly. I pulled the waste tank to see if it was draining into the container and it is. In your post you had mentioned the pump tube. Again I have not been into the bottom of the printer and have been trying to find a schematic, but the lines I assume go from the docking station to a valve station/pump station. Is this correct? Does this help any? I am going to try and use your clamp idea to see if I can at least get the head clean.

artbot

there is a small panel on the left side behind your printer just behind the roller. you will have to take off a small piece of the stainless steel guide and the metal panel. you will see the four cap tubes coming down from above. then you will see to pumps mounted straight ahead. they come out very easily with one screw on the left. the right side has small pins to position it.

if you are quickly losing fluid, ...the pump stops in the closed position. the thing that keeps the fluid sitting in the cap when you do a soak is just trapped air beneath. if a bubble from any cap comes up, it will let the solution level sink down. if you are constantly loosing fluid, it can be because the pump needs a fresh line going through it and it is leaking air, thus allowing the weight of the fluid to push the air downward. or the union that connects the cap tube to the pump is leaking air. this happened to me once. i tried everything, and ultimately my issue went away when i freshened up the connection between the pump tube and cap tube. this might not be for you. the unions are very tight. but the hose can be damaged when removing/putting back on. and then leave a fracture that lets air out.

when you get that panel off (and you definitely don't need a schematic the parts are in plain sight), trade/swap pump tubes with the black to isolate if the pump is the problem or the line.