• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

jv3 heads changed

tjsigns

After a couple of posts regarding my banding issue with my printer, i ended up buying a used mimaki jv3 for spares and managed to recover 3 of the print heads. The guy i bought it off told me the heads were not firing 100% so i stripped them off and flushed them through and three came back 100%. I installed them into my current machine and it still prints with banding. What i didnt do was take down the head i.ds and input them into the printer. Would this make it do this. When printing a solid band like a rainbow it looks like the blue and yellow heads are printing out of alignment. i will post a pic when i get back into work. Will i need to reset all the printheads up in alignment. The heads are all firing perfecet on test print. Ive adjusted feed comp and still have banding issues.

Thanks in advance

MikePro

pics of banding or links to other threads or it didn't happen.
my money's on feed comp not being the solution here.

regardless,
you want the head i.d's in the machine, for sure. you'll quickly notice the difference when you go to print your alignment patterns.... wrong head i.d. = fuzzy lines for alignments.

which brings me to your issue.... you most likely need proper alignment
i've got some detailed descriptions of alignment procedures for the jv3 around here somewhere.... too lazy to search through old posts right now :(
but basically, no printhead is ever inserted perfectly square as the last. no matter how hard you try.
even the slightest-bit-off, will result in not only banding but halo's of ink around solid lines.

tjsigns

Thanks for reply MIKE. Ive gone through the Head adjustment procedure today, well some of it and my issues are improving. I am gonna set aside a full day and go through all the head adjust menus. Theres alot to do but i either do it or pay a tech a full day to do it and that will cost me a fair bit at $150ph. will post pics and results when finished.

MikePro

nah, alignment shouldn't be a $150/hr job. Just get lots of paper to burn through. I use the backing of my laminate when I need some in a pinch.

my post from another jv3 thread:

everything you need to maintain your JV3 found in this thread:
Mimaki service/maintenance document collection

particularly, in your case, the:
Print Head alignments checklist
tho' you can skip to step #3.

clarified order:
#prntadjust menu, select thick/thin media, hi/low speed
1. x-direction (input value where lines overlap)
2. y-base (add value to push top lines to left to overlap...repeat until they overlap)
3. Var-2: Ysi, Yre, Ybi (each line represents 0.1 +/-, do not repeat, only enter value of overlap)
4. Fine Ysi, Yre, Ybi (same pattern repeats across entire media width. repeat and add to value like y-base procedure to push top line to left until overlapped)
5. Norm-2 Ysi, Yre, Ybi (same as Var-2)
6. Fine Ysi, Yre, Ybi (same as step #4)
7. Basis Set (not required, but nice because it uses the procedure you just completed to set the starting point for V1, N1, N2... it WILL wipe out the existing data, so be sure that's what you want to do before using)