• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV3 Ink Starvation

Street454

This thing is driving me nuts...i am getting what looks like ink starvation on just the one side of the black and the magenta. The magenta head is new. I can run a strong clean and it will clear itself out long enough to do a test image. As soon as I go to print, it acts as if the heads are clogged. I do a test, sure as hell, the 1 side of black and the 1 side of magenta are not printing. Really tired of fighting this machine. I have cleaned the encoder strip, cleaned the heads, cleaned the capping station...AAAAhhhhh!!!

artbot

before blaming the damper, cross the black damper on the black head to see if the issue switches to the other side. you could also have a clogged manifold.

Street454

What's goofy is that I can do a strong clean and get them to look good at the test print. Then I go to print and they dry up as it goes. Looked for the refresh rate but can't find it...I am using Flexi 7. Thought about the dampers but they are only about 3 years old. Now I've cleaned it enough I need to order more black. Up to here with this thing!

TheSnowman

I don't have any tips, but I feel your pain. My JV3 and JV33 were work horses, but I felt like I constantly was battling ink issues like this. You aren't productive at all when dealing with this stuff. Went Latex and so far, loving it.

ProPDF

Dampers are 3 years old? Try changing them out and your cap tops if they are more than 12 months old. You can get all these parts cheap online. Good luck!

WalkerP

What's goofy is that I can do a strong clean and get them to look good at the test print. Then I go to print and they dry up as it goes. Looked for the refresh rate but can't find it...I am using Flexi 7. Thought about the dampers but they are only about 3 years old. Now I've cleaned it enough I need to order more black. Up to here with this thing!

That's pretty typical of clogged dampers. A cleaning, especially a strong, will pull enough ink through the damper into the head to get a good nozzlecheck, but normal printing doesn't pull ink nearly as hard and it drops back out. Like artbot said, you can swap the lines on the head, but I'd replace the dampers. I'd replace all of them if it's been 3 years. That's a long time for a set of dampers.

MikePro

pics or it never happened :)
-----------------------
just diagnose from the ground-up:

first on the list, have you considered the ink pump?
the plastic lines wear-out over time, crack, and eventually stop pumping while also allowing waste ink to simply drain down into its compartment within your printer.
aside from opening-up the back of your machine, you could always just run a disway/nozzlewash, either of those processes requires you to fill the capping station with cleaning solution. If the capping station holds/drains cleaning solution as intended, then move diagnosis up to your capping station:
....your capping station might look pristine, but the contact between the capping station with the printhead might not be sufficient for a proper seal, causing it to burb/gurgle while attempting to refresh the ink-siphon supply. try slightly wiggling-up/raising the black capping station captop and re-parking the printheads, the added pressure to the seal may fix your problem.
....and if that doesn't work, then consider your printhead manifold ...especially if you've messed-with/replaced the dampers recently. the manifold bridges the damper and the printhead, but is pretty fragile. if it cracks then it will compromise, if not eliminate, the siphon-effect of your ink supply.
....and finally, air bubbles in your ink lines could be the cause, as well. fillupink procedure usually does the trick, but its worth taking the time to observe everything while your burning through ink. specifically your ink supply lines above the head, hoping to see the bubble make it to your damper, but also worth looking at all of the above listed items and how well the ink flows through all of them.