• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV3 not printing til refresh

serverjohn

Hey guys and gals,
What does it mean when my printer only prints the first line, then moves the head like it is printing but nothing comes out until the head goes back to the capping station. After it refreshes the ink supply it print one strip then nothing. This happens across all the colors. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
john

genericname

A properly functioning printer should still be able to print in uni-directional mode.

You might have a lot of crap on your encoder strip. Take a look at it, and wipe it with a damp, lint-free cloth, making sure not to stress it or otherwise bend it.

Failing that, blow some air through the encoder sensor on the back of the carriage to free up any debris that might be messing with the sensor's readings.

Normally would sound like extreme ink starvation, but not across all heads.

J Hill Designs

is it printing correctly or does it make printing passes where nothing prints? if prints are coming out correct you are prob in uni mode as stated

serverjohn

Thank you for your quick responses. I printed a few things today just fine. Then I started this job and it all the sudden started doing what I described. I have attached a few pictures to show what it is doing. It is not printing the image properly. It should be solid colors.

Attachments

• 102_1114.jpg
    102_1114.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 102_1115.jpg
    102_1115.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 69

serverjohn

A properly functioning printer should still be able to print in uni-directional mode.

You might have a lot of crap on your encoder strip. Take a look at it, and wipe it with a damp, lint-free cloth, making sure not to stress it or otherwise bend it.

Failing that, blow some air through the encoder sensor on the back of the carriage to free up any debris that might be messing with the sensor's readings.

Normally would sound like extreme ink starvation, but not across all heads.

I am not quite sure where the encoder strip is. That being said, nor do i know where the encoder sensor is. I have the carriage cover off but i am not sure where those items are. I could take a picture if that would help.

J Hill Designs

its a clear looking strip that runs the length of your printer head carriage

fyi search for cleaning encoder strip - DO NOT USE PRINTER CLEANING FLUID

ChicagoGraphics

I had the same problem last year but not as bad, clean your clear encoder strip with a 50/50 of alcohl & water, rub lightly then see if that fixes it if not shut your machine off and remove the cover to where your heads are, there is a sensor that reads the encoder strip that need to be removed and cleaned and put back carefully. That should fix the problem your having.

serverjohn

I feel a little stupid... Does the encoder strip run the length of the print area? Or is it physically attached to the carriage? I have attached a picture.

thanks,
john

Attachments

• jv3.jpg
    jv3.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 61

genericname

Yep, back there. Runs the length of the printer, though it's not attached to the carriage. There's actually a small sensor on the back of the carriage that cups over the strip. If you look closely, you'll see that the strip isn't actually clear, but has a multitude of tiny vertical stripes on it. Those stripes break the sensor's beam, letting the carriage know how far along on the path it is.

If you stick your head in there while it's not running (but still on), you should be able to see the red light emitted by the sensor at the back of the carriage.