• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV3 Printing black streaks

After a few incidents of Ycurrent errors, i thoroughly cleaned and oiled the bar. Then went to hit print and this happens?? A coincidence? A bad head? I swithched data cables to magenta and it still prints solid black like in the pic?

And it prints all over the platen to.

A tech is days way!!! What to do??

Attachments

• IMG_1204.jpg
    IMG_1204.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1205.jpg
    IMG_1205.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 83

MikePro

encoder strip and/or sensor
check the clear strip that is behind the printhead carriage for dirt/oil/etc and clean with only isopropyl/water

check the encoder sensor for the same, bit more difficult as it requires removal of hardware from the printhead carriage.

artbot

if you did a data swap and the issue stayed at the black head. then you may do one more thing. this issue will happen if a data cable isn't seated properly or damaged. after getting a positive/negative on the data cable. also completely swap data cables (both ends) trading the magenta cable for the black cable. this will isolate the cable itself. if this doesn't give you some other feedback, then i'd say that the head is dead from dripping something on it or zapping it in some way.

MikePro

i have a machine for parts. Can i take the head out from the other machine, clean it thoroughly and replace my black one?

yes. assuming it still works and you can clean it properly without damaging electrical components.
make sure you note the Head I.D.#, the labels aren't solvent-proof and have been known to wipe clean with fingers full of cleaning solution.

also, here's a collection of JV3 documents that you may find useful:
Mimaki Jv3 document collection thread
printhead install document is in there somewhere, with detailed instructions

ok tried that and new head installed. i understand i have to input new head numbers. so itry to enter the "service" program. when i press both remote and function buttons it should go there ..right? it doesnt. am i missing a step?

MikePro

service mode is just like regular mode, where you have to now navigate the function/maintenance menu. Head I.D. will be located inside here somewhere.

Matt-Tastic

ok tried that and new head installed. i understand i have to input new head numbers. so itry to enter the "service" program. when i press both remote and function buttons it should go there ..right? it doesnt. am i missing a step?

Often you have to turn off the machine with the breaker switch first. Then hold FUNCTION & REMOTE, Then go to the #ADJUST Menu. Then you're see HEAD I.D.

Find the ID of the old head, and replace it with the new head's ID.