• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV3 self cleaning during print

JTpro

I've looked through the manuals twice and can't seem to find this setting. I'm pretty sure it can be adjusted.

Where is the setting to adjust the frequency of self head cleaning? It may not be called self head cleaning, but when the print heads go to the capping station while printing and clickity clack clickty clack and then continues to print?

Since I've had this machine (JV3-160S) it has always done it consistently when there is not image in a portion of a print (white areas). It would move the material forward, clickity clack clickity clack, move material forward clickity clack clickity clack, move material forward clickity clack clickity clack, etc...

I used to work at a sign shop full time with the same machine and this was never the case in a non print area.

I assume there is a setting some place to adjust this, like I said I cannot find it in the manual

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

MikePro

its not the self cleaning that you're looking for.
without the manual in front of me I can't say the proper term, but its somewhere along the lines of "content-aware" printing "smart printing"... i'll add to this thread when i get in the shop in the a.m.
it would be in the printer configuration menus

artbot

my jv3 did that. it's just taking advantage of the open space to prime the heads. what it's doing is it his "flashing" the heads. they are being sucked on by the capping station. the heads is firing some tiny micro streams, and the pump is running to catch and pull down the ink into the caps.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
It can be adjusted on both the printer and in your RIP. On Flexi it's the head "refresh". Cannot remember if its called that or something else on the printer itself.

MikePro

its not the self cleaning that you're looking for.

correction, it's called LOGICALseek
your printer will only plot over areas it intends to print, and then rests over the capping station & forwards material where there's white space. clackity clackity, while the ink pumps refresh the heads.

you can turn this off, if you like, in the Print Mode
(Function>Setup>Print Mode>LogicalSeek)

I believe what SightLine is referring to is the "Head Refresh Rate" which can be dialed-up in your RIP, to increase the frequency of head refreshing during a print but it doesn't really do anything but dial it up from like 1-4 times per 5min. of print. I don't bother with this, unless I'm having ink starvation issues on full field of color prints.

MikePro

also noted, that if you don't like the "clackity clackity", replace your OEM ink pumps (but keep them handy, in case you need them someday... they're still good) with the Triangle 3rd party ink pumps from Fellers (or whomever).
They run so quiet, that I thought I had installed them wrong the first time.

JTpro

I don't mind the sound, but I knew if I put that in there everyone would know what I was talking about!! I'll adjust the Logical seek accordingly. Thank you All!

MikePro

I like logical seek. I think the printer is actually faster, especially when there's a lot of white spa e involved.