• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV3 showing full cartrige empty

juan45215

All of a sudden our JV3 started showing one black cartridge as empty. We swapped it with the other black cartridge and now they both show empty even though there is is plenty of ink in both.
Anybody familar with this problem?

romichoux

it's certainly du to a defective chip on your cartridges. what is the firmware number?
do you use OEM cartridges or not?

Richard G

talk to you supplier they should handle the cartridge swap out. sounds like a chip issue. as romichoux asks are they OEM or other? I use Bordeaux inks and this has happen with them once in a while.

genericname

Common enough problem. It's either a chip or a firmware issue. Here's what I've done:

When you have a cartridge of the same colour that reaches empty, and you're ready to toss it, swap its chip with that of the defective one. The busted cartridge should now read near end, and you can manually add 30cc as if it were. You may have to do this a few times, swapping chips as you go, but it'll let you get a better yield out of your stubborn defective carts.

Normally I'd raise hell with our supplier over this, but with the volume of ink we go through, it would be a waste of time to get a pick-up for the busted cart, and drop-off for a new one, when we could otherwise just cheat the printer and use the ink anyway.

A word of caution though, you need to keep an eye on the actual volume of ink in the cart (weighing, visual comparison, voodoo, whatever the hell), as you can actually run out of ink mid way through a print this way. Just takes common sense though. Don't use a really light cart on a long print, and don't leave it overnight, when you can't switch it.