• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV3 to JV33 is it worth the $$

Gary Wiant

I currently have a Jv3 SPII 130 with SS2 ink running dual CMYK and I'm thinking of getting a new printer and one of my choices is the JV33 130/160 with SS2-1 ink what are the advantages of going to the JV33, I would like better color gamut so I may go to CMYK Lm Lc but I'm not real interested in printing with White or Silver (is it work then it's worth)

* Will the JV33 have a bigger or better color gamut with both printers running 2x CMYK?

* Will the JV33 with CMYK Lm Lc be as fast or fast then the JV3 with 2x CMYK?

Later

Letterbox Mike

First off, just to clear this up, CMYKlclm DOES NOT increase your gamut, it gives smoother transitional tones, and can give the impression of a higher print resolution, but it will not expand your color gamut one bit. Don't let a dealer try to tell you otherwise and don't buy a 6-color printer expecting to nail 151 orange because it's not going to happen. If you really need an expanded color gamut, really the only off-the-shelf option is the Epson GS6000 running an 8-color inkset.

That said, we have both machines (a 3 and a 33), the JV33 is a major step up in terms of ease of operation, maintenance and speed. Color gamut is more or less going to be identical to the JV3, assuming you have good profiles. The new DX5 head in the JV33 significantly reduces the "lawnmower" chromatic banding you see while printing in bidirectional mode with the JV3. In our observations, optimum print quality from the JV3 is at 720x720 8-pass, the JV33 is 540-1080 6-pass, which is over twice as fast as the JV3.

All around, the JV33 is a great machine, If we ever buy another solvent printer (we're leaning towards HP latex for our next purchase) it will be another JV33 for sure. But again, don't get a 6-color expecting color miracles or fast print speeds, the color will look the same and the speed will be reduced significantly. If you have to have a bigger gamut, Epson is where it's at.

kkamauu

insignia is right - we also run a JV3 and JV33. But once i got the JV33 in July - I dont ever run the JV3 anymore.

The 33 is much faster and we dont use 6 color, we do CCMMYYKK instead, which gives us faster speed. With the variable dot technology in the 33 we found it is just as good as running the CMYKLcLm. We are running Onyx which supports variable dot. Quality between the two is very noticable as well.

I am very glad we made the purchase of the 33.

KurlyT7467

insignia is right - we also run a JV3 and JV33. But once i got the JV33 in July - I dont ever run the JV3 anymore.

The 33 is much faster and we dont use 6 color, we do CCMMYYKK instead, which gives us faster speed. With the variable dot technology in the 33 we found it is just as good as running the CMYKLcLm. We are running Onyx which supports variable dot. Quality between the two is very noticable as well.

I am very glad we made the purchase of the 33.

Same here, we have a JV3 and bought a JV33. We used the JV3 to print banners until came time to replace a printhead and we just didn't spend the money, and now it just sits on the side and the JV33 does everything easily for all the solvent printing we do.

Don't even miss the JV3

The Equipment Guy

Insignia nailed it. The change is a real breath of fresh air in maintenance, speed and res. You will definitely feel like you just moved into a new generation.

Craig

speedmedia

+1 to all the others. We have both and the JV33 is far above our JV# in terms of speed, maint and operation. I feel like we get better color off of it as well on certain materials and profiles.

For every 5 times I have to mess with something on my JV3 the JV33 just keeps humming along!

Thanks,
Kurt

Gary Wiant

I went today and looked at the JV33 I'm very impressed, fast, great output and WOW the maintenance you guys are right super easy.

It's nice that Mimaki listened to the end users and made improvements on the JV3 but left the good parts alone

I purchased the printer and bundled in the CaptivAir ventilation system.

Should be here next Tuesday

Any tips you guys can give me on setting it up or operation.

Letterbox Mike

Gary, if you can set up or operate your JV3 the JV33 is more or less identical, the menus are almost all identical, so are all of the maintenance functions. One nice thing I love about the 33 is the cleaning cartridge in the back. To do a custody wash it's all automatic now, no more eye dropping cleaning fluid into the capping station.

Congratulations, you'll really be happy with the new printer, you made an excellent choice!

Gary Wiant

I think the best maintenace upgrade on the JV3 is the amount of room you have to clean the head, I'm 6'7" 295 so my hands are really big and end up being all contorted trying to get in and clean the head.

Does anyone have any experience with the Captivair system?

Does the take up reel on the JV33 effect the media comp like the JV3 does or atleast mine does?

Thanks

Rooster

Does the take up reel on the JV33 effect the media comp like the JV3 does or atleast mine does?

Mine was until I adjusted the clutch on the take up. Set it so it just barely wraps the media around the roller and it won't stretch the media.

Gary Wiant

thanks I'll make sure the tension is set correctly. What about the USB cable? and why would they not make this machine Ethernet connectable? I think this is the only solvent printer that isn't.

Are all cables created equal or do I need a special cable.

Thanks

Letterbox Mike

Mine was until I adjusted the clutch on the take up. Set it so it just barely wraps the media around the roller and it won't stretch the media.

We've found that on some media, even with the clutch set as "light" as possible we still have to watch the media compensation. POSpro and IJ180C seem to be the most susceptible to changes, but it seems like a lot of others need a minor tweak as well. It's a good idea to watch your prints closely as you put them on the take up to make any changes, we've ruined a few prints by being lazy and not keeping an eye on it...

Rooster

We've found that on some media, even with the clutch set as "light" as possible we still have to watch the media compensation. POSpro and IJ180C seem to be the most susceptible to changes, but it seems like a lot of others need a minor tweak as well. It's a good idea to watch your prints closely as you put them on the take up to make any changes, we've ruined a few prints by being lazy and not keeping an eye on it...

I haven't had any issues with print quality on either of those medias when it comes to clutch settings. The issue I was having was related to overall print length. The first print would be longer than subsequent prints as too much tension caused the medias to stretch as it went over the heaters and once cooled became shorter than the preceding print. With next to no tension on the take-up reel, panel to panel registration was once again exactly where it needed to be. The POSpro was the worst of the bunch. I think it's the lack of a backing material that allows it to stretch more easily.