• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

jv33-160 blinking; close a cover

Ravni

hey guys
I just bought a mimaki JV33-160 but when I plug it in it starts up but then it starts blinking with the error message: "close a cover".
I have seen other threads about this error and I have disconnect the cover sensors and short circuit the connectors but still not working.
When the machine boots it says that the firmware version is 4.1. Is this the newest/correct version? Or would upgrading to another version solve this problem?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Different firmware will not solve that. Also - if you go to any newer firmware, that is a 1 way road. One of the firmware past 4.1 is not reversible if you wanted to go back. I say this because if you ever need to replace the DX5 head, with any firmware above 2.2, you can only use an OEM Mimaki head. A generic DX5 head will not work with newer firmware. As is you should be able to downgrade the firmware if you wanted to. I only mention this because an OEM DX5 head from Mimaki costs $2000 while a generic DX5 head can be had for well under half that.

On the cover sensors. Did you check/bypass all 3 of them? There are 3 cover switches, one on each end of the main cover then there is a third one on the upper left corner of the cover over the manual head cleaning spot which is under the ink cartridges.

Ravni

Thank you for telling me that Because i was thinking about buying a new head for the machine:)

Yes i bypass all tree of them, i also try to tjek is there is any voltage going thru and it seems Like there is 5v on the sensor in the Right end on the main cover. But the next end and the service cover sensor which is connectet to the print locatet behind the ink there is no voltage going thru the connector. Is there a Way that i Can have a sensor test on this machine?

Maybe be i shut mention that the red and Green leds above the ink is making a light show

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I'd pull some of the back covers off and make sure none of the cables are disconnected from the boards. The cartridge slots need 8 cartridges installed. If done and the cartridges are not empty or expired 4 should go green. The other 4 will either be off or red (possible red flashing) if the other 4 are empty, expired, missing or somehow not being detected. This is assuming the printed is configured for dual CMYK. I had looked up the firmware before and had determined specifically which version was a permanent (no going back) update - that is 4.60. Search the Mimaki section on here for JV33 and you will find a number of threads that give a lot of detail about the firmware and heads as well as plenty of other info on a JV33 which will be very useful in getting the machine up and running. On the cover switches, I'm pretty sure they are NO (normally open) switches which means they could be removed and shorted to make the machine think the covers are closed but I have not messed with the cover switches in a long time. It is possible they are NC (normally closed) and the circuit is opened when a cover is open but I do not think they are.

Ravni

I Will try figure out the Thing about the ink but i have a bulk ink system so i dont Think is Will be to old Right?

about the sensors i disconnectet the cable at the circuit board and at the main Right i messured 5v on the on of the to connector pins and when i close the sensor it Will supply 5v on the second pin at the connector the sensor is NO

But when i do the same mmessurement and the board behind the inks Where the other sensors are connected non of the pins shows 5v and that seems wrong.

is ther any schematics over the circuit boards? Have tryed Google but with no succes:(

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I have not seen any actual schematics. Some electrical troubleshooting documents but specifically related to head and slider board issues. Depending on the bulk ink system installed it may have something connected to bypass the ink cartridge chip sensors to add some sort of permanent resettable chips. I have a Triangle bulk system which heavily ties into the board behind the cartridge slots but it really does not involve anything with the door switches - it is a small box that plugs into the 8 connectors on the board behind the cartridge slots where the original cartridge slot chip readers would normally be connected to make the machine think there is always full cartridges in the slots.

There are only 3 cover switches which would trigger the "close a cover" message. The 2 on the main long front cover over the print platen and the third which is for the front left service bay. I just double checked the one on my machine at the left service bay (I have that one bypassed because the switch broke) and the wires that go to that one are just connected together to close the circuit. Are you jumping them at the plug on the switch end or at the connectors on the board in the back of the machine? Jumping them at the board would be the next thing I would try to rule out a broken wire.

Ravni

I'm already making the bypass direct on the circuit board but the close a cover messege blinking om the display and is not static on the display but i'm new to this printer and i havent even tryed the machine Because is shows the Message when i bought the machine from an auction but it is normaly blinking og static showing the Message?

Ravni

I'm already making the bypass direct on the circuit board but the close a cover messege blinking om the display and is not static on the display but i'm new to this printer and i havent even tryed the machine Because is shows the Message when i bought the machine from an auction but it is normaly blinking og static showing the Message?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
The close a cover message will be blinking. If you close the cover (or its circuit) while the machine is on it will stop flashing and say

( COVER OPEN )
PRESS <ENT> KEY

then you just hit enter and it should go to Local mode or wait for you to hit an arrow to load/measure the media if you have some vinyl loaded.

Ravni

Then i must try to bypass one more time Besause as i see it ther Cant be any other thing wrong with this Message. But i still Think i May have a board failure on the x motor driver board Because i dont have 5 v on one of the connector pins

Ravni

now i think i have found the problem.

i unscrewed all the covers from the printer and i see the some of the yellow ink have been running on the outside of the tube and down to the flat 30 pin ribbon cable which is going from the main board to the board behind the inks where the 2 sensors are connected. the ink have make the ribbon cable crack so now there are hole thru the cable i think this must be the problem.

i have tryed to google abit bu i havent found a place to buy a new cable do any of you guys now a place where i can but this cable ?