• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV33-160 not recognizing new ink cartridge

Derin88

I'm trying to swap out an empty cartridge for a new (full) one, however the printer's not recognizing it. I tried swapping the chips but the extend life prompt didn't display itself. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Mimaki Mama

I just fixed a similar issue on my JV-3 last week.
It was the cartridge sensor. It is a small lever at the bottom of the cartridge well. If you look at the side of your cartridge, with the chip on the upper left, you will see a small rectangular hole (approx 1" x .125") at the bottom. This is where the cartridge sensor on the inside of the cartridge well matches up with your cartridge. I believe the part number is Mimaki 1033477. ALthough, check with your supplier to make sure it's the right one for your machine.

The sensor has a small plastic lever that is easily broken or even hairline fractured which will effect how it read the cartridge. Once it reads it as "near end" it will write that information to the cartridge chip.

A tech told me it was an easy fix, but I beg to differ. It was A LOT of taking apart. I did it though. So, if you are not too afraid, you could probably do it. i would guess it took me about 3 hours. Mine was a magenta. Supposedly, Cyan and Yellow are much more difficult because they are behind the carriage assembly area. -MM

tjwilton

Cartridge Sensor

I had the same situation on our JV33-160. It was the cartridge sensor. Luckily it was still under warranty for me when it happened so I didn't have to fix myself.

The real trick here is to determine exactly what the printer does not like about the Cartridge. The LCD can't display much information at one time so what you need to do after installing the cartridge is to hit the ENTER key on the control panel to display more information about the problem. There are a lot of different messages you might get such as "COLOR OF INK", "NON ORIGINAL INK", "INK EXPIRED", "INK END" etc...

The most common problem is that the Sensor is not reading the chip on the cartridge and this will show up as the "NON ORIGINAL" message. You can try cleaning the contacts on the chip with some alcohol. If this doesn't work I like to intentionally insert a cartridge of the wrong color into the slot and ten hit the ENTER key a few times - If the Chip reader in the machine is working then you should get a "COLOR OF INK" message indicating that the machine sees the cartridge but knows it is the wrong color.

Let us know what you get.

Forty One

ok, heres one for the brains trust.
I have 2 jv33's.
I have carts that are OEM and 3rd party. 3rd Party has permanent chips.

on one particular JV33, the cyan channels (and others) will not register with either cyan OEM or 3P.
But.... if I swap out a cart that does register (in this case, magenta) and put it in it's place, it does recognise something being in there.

I've replaced the relay board, cleaned the contacts on the chips with ISO, replaced the 3rd party chips with alternate chips.
I've even taken a functioning cart from the other JV33 and put it in the non working one and that still does not register.

WHat's going on????!!!!!! c