• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV33 as a dye sublimation printer

Murray

Has anyone used or know someone who has used a Mimaki jv33 as a dye sublimation (transfer paper) printer? Ive heard that they can be converted from eco solvent to dye sub but would like to hear from anyone who has actually done it successfully. Thanks in advance for any input!

APCInk

Merchant Member
Hi Murray,

We convert JV33s and JV5's from solvent to dye sub pretty often. We always replace the cap, top dampers, and pumps prior to loading the dye sublimation inks into the machine after flushing the machine out with the following:
1. cleaning fluid
2. air
3. acetone
4. air
5. isopropyl alcohol
6. air
7. change the dampers, captop, and pump
8. dye sublimation ink

There is about a 50/50 chance the head will make the conversion depending on the condition and age of the head. We have had better success with heads that were a few months old over a few years old. We also disconnect the lines from the damper in order to flush them as opposed to running the fluid through the head and dampers. Then we carefully flush the print head with a syringe manually using cleaning fluid/air, then acetone/air until we don't see any color coming out of the head with the flushing fluid and then let the acetone evaporate before attempting to flush it with alcohol.

Good luck!

Brian Hendricks
American Print Consultants
Business: 818-9-APCINK(27-2465)
Cell: 419-552-0194
Email: brian@apcink.com
Has anyone used or know someone who has used a Mimaki jv33 as a dye sublimation (transfer paper) printer? Ive heard that they can be converted from eco solvent to dye sub but would like to hear from anyone who has actually done it successfully. Thanks in advance for any input!

Murray

Brian, thank you for your quick and comprehensive rely. Other then the ink switch have there been any common issues with the printing on to transfer paper itself either with the print quality or the travel mechanism? It would be disappointing to have the ink conversion go smoothly only to find other issues cropping up. We have a JV33 260 so it is 104" wide. Once again, thank you so much for your input, I appreciate it very much.
Regards,
Murray
Hi Murray,

We convert JV33s and JV5's from solvent to dye sub pretty often. We always replace the cap, top dampers, and pumps prior to loading the dye sublimation inks into the machine after flushing the machine out with the following:
1. cleaning fluid
2. air
3. acetone
4. air
5. isopropyl alcohol
6. air
7. change the dampers, captop, and pump
8. dye sublimation ink

There is about a 50/50 chance the head will make the conversion depending on the condition and age of the head. We have had better success with heads that were a few months old over a few years old. We also disconnect the lines from the damper in order to flush them as opposed to running the fluid through the head and dampers. Then we carefully flush the print head with a syringe manually using cleaning fluid/air, then acetone/air until we don't see any color coming out of the head with the flushing fluid and then let the acetone evaporate before attempting to flush it with alcohol.

Good luck!

Brian Hendricks
American Print Consultants
Business: 818-9-APCINK(27-2465)
Cell: 419-552-0194
Email: brian@apcink.com

APCInk

Merchant Member
The JV33-260S printers print beautifully on paper as long as you have a good profile generated for your ink and paper. I wouldn't recommend moving the head and capping station to the higher position unless you absolutely have to(I am not talking about the thick thin, but there is actually an option to raise the head carriage to a different set of holes and putting shims under the cap and wiper stations that is listed as configuring the installation manual for the JV33). You will also need to change a few parameters to allow you to convert fill the machine with dye sublimation inks in place of the solvents(I can't remember what these are off the top of my head, but I think one is fillup under running parameter and the other I believe is inktype under custom parameter). What dye sub inks do you plan on running? If you are running a 3rd party ink you will either need a chip bypass system or use cartridges that have chips. Where are you located? We might be able to help you get this all configured.

Thanks,
Brian