• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV33 capping station seal issue? New cap top, pump & base. How to align?

Atari

Definitely having some issues with the capping station.

I've been able to confirm now that the head can print each channel ok for the most part, but the capping station is not doing it job and keeping the ink supply full.

So far I've replaced:

- Cap top
- The little hard tubes from the cap top that tie into the pump tubes
- The capping station base/frame itself
- Pump

Pump and tubes works well during a pump tube clean.

It seems like the capping top must have an air leak somehow when it meets the head. On a fresh cap top, I can see that it pulls a little ink through, but it's lopsided (the left side was darker sooner).

Is there a specific procedure to align cap top?

Maybe I messed it up when I replaced the base.

Atari

Ok here's what I've discovered....

JLkgjH2.jpg

There's a hex bolt that raises and lowers the entire right side of the capping station platform.

Mine was loose, but the 2 lock screws were tight.

Tightening the hex screw did create better suction or seal on the capping station(!) -- however, I need to adjust it properly tomorrow by loosening the lock screws first and really adjusting the bed.

There is also an [HASHTAG]#ADJUST[/HASHTAG] > CAPPING setting which you can adjust to snug the head parking location farther to the right.

I'll mess with this more tomorrow.

P.S. yes, I know there's a cleaning solution tube poking through there that isn't supposed to be. :)

Atari

I've been using the pump tube cleaning routine to test when/where the head is making a good seal with the cap top.

Doing this by:

- verifying all damper discs are out (and not vacuumed/sucked in)
- if any dampers sucked in, remove damper and reseat
- start pump tube cleaning
- move head back over the cap top
- wait few seconds for pump cleaning to start
- watch which damper discs suck in and which do not.

*** NOTE: not doing this for prolonged time because I'm not sure what happens with continued sucking against sealed cart valves. So just using it to see where I have a good seal.

So all that said....

I initially only had a good seal on one of the yellow lines. 1 out of 8.

Then I did overnight soak of the head at the capping station (white switch/power off unit during 99 min nozzle clean) and immediately tried the pump tube cleaning damper test again....

Now I have a magenta line sealing. 2 out of 8 lines.

I've also tested the ink+damper lines from different colors on the working yellow manifold tip/channel -- those other links compress the disc when they are on the yellow tip... so it's not anything upwards from the bottom of those other lines dampers.

I guess that means my head or manifold is super clogged or something?

But I've flushed cleaner through both (using a new/clean damper acting as a particle/debris filter)...and they pushed fluid fairly easily. I would think the pump would at least be able to suck the discs in.

Also when I had the head off, I could faintly see the outline of the cap top rubber on the head. It did not look positioned well, but I noted which directions it was off and tried to adjust the cap station base (black plastic, held by 2 screws) in that direction, but no fix there.

Very frustrating.

Ordered an ultrasonic parts cleaner so I'll keep trying to clean head and manifold.

Neil

Definitely having some issues with the capping station.

Is there a specific procedure to align cap top?

I adjusted my wiper and cap top and capping position recently.
See attached pic for instructions

I adjusted the AirPullPos from 0.1 to -0.7 and got it to line up nicely inside the printhead.
However, I started getting Error 170 - Print Head lock errors.
Suspect the latch was now sticking to the arm when the head docks.
So, I then moved the Capping Position from -1.1mm to -2.1. This move the cap station to the right and fixed the print head lock error.

Attachments

• Capping adjust.JPG
    Capping adjust.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 1,308

Atari

I adjusted my wiper and cap top and capping position recently.
See attached pic for instructions

I adjusted the AirPullPos from 0.1 to -0.7 and got it to line up nicely inside the printhead.
However, I started getting Error 170 - Print Head lock errors.
Suspect the latch was now sticking to the arm when the head docks.
So, I then moved the Capping Position from -1.1mm to -2.1. This move the cap station to the right and fixed the print head lock error.

Thanks! Yes, I saw this document previously as well and it was very helpful in understanding how it is intended to calibrate the capping and wiper positions.

Unfortunately I was still sucking air.

Last night I purchased a cheap ultrasonic cleaner and went to town on the manifold and head. The manifold was clogged in a couple of ports, but it's really intermittent. I think there is debris in the ink or ink lines that clogs these up. If I get it printing correctly again I'm going to plumb in some replaceable solvent UFO shaped disc filters behind the cartridges.

Everything should be dry now, so off to reassemble the head (again) and see what happens....

hand851

Roland Mutoh & Mimaki inks digiprint-parts.com
Replace the Cap slider base M602089 and the cap slider M602088 they cost approx 2 to 4 bucks each. When installing the newly reassembled (take spring, sponge off old base) cap base leave both screws loose pull cap base toward you (two stops on right front of base) should be against plate you are pulling to. Tighten screws while holding in place. I would replace cap top at this time make sure stopper is in place and hoses are not loose.

Atari

Replace the Cap slider base M602089 and the cap slider M602088 they cost approx 2 to 4 bucks each. When installing the newly reassembled (take spring, sponge off old base) cap base leave both screws loose pull cap base toward you (two stops on right front of base) should be against plate you are pulling to. Tighten screws while holding in place. I would replace cap top at this time make sure stopper is in place and hoses are not loose.

I have replaced the base & slider, as well as new cap. Used new cap spring, slider spring & sponge. Still not getting proper seal.

It looks like it's marking the head a little too far to the left. That is, the capping station base itself, or the cap, needs to contact farther to the right.

There doesn't seem to be any adjustment for that. "ADJUST > CAPPING" doesn't really slide/move where cap meets head to the right.

hand851

Roland Mutoh & Mimaki inks digiprint-parts.com
Replace just the cap slider. You can not adjust the cap location on the head. It is determined by the cap slider. Plastic piece sticking up an that distance is fixed. I suggest an OEM M602088.