• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV33 head issues

LaserMan

We've had the 33 for about 3 years now. Never had any issues at all.

Yesterday, there was a media jam (Oracle 651 vinyl). Since then, the test draw shows that the Magenta (on the left side) is missing most of the nozzles. The top and bottom 1/3's are missing. Only a little bit in the middle shots. I've done the hard clean, wiped the head with a lint free swab and cleaning solution. I've run several nozzle washs (including the max 99 minutes) and i've also tried teh ink fill up.

The test draw never changes. What do you all recommend? Is it a bad head and needs to be replaced? Other methods of cleaning that i have missed?

Thanks

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If it was a really hard head strike you may have knocked some things loose. Get down and look at the bottom of the head from the side. Make sure that it is parallel with the platen. If not, the cap top won't seal with the head properly and no ink will be sucked down. Also, check the ribbon cable that connects to the head from the slider board. It may have come loose which might cause specific nozzles to stop firing but it is rare. Finally, assuming your cap top, pump and dampers are functioning properly, I would try flushing the head with cleaning solution and a syringe. If you can see fluid coming out of the nozzles when you do the flush and it produces the same problem when you pop the head back in, most likely you have damaged the head, physically or electronically and will need to get a new head.

Masseria

Ok. Do the following steps at your own risks, im only trying to help you.

IM USING JV33-160 with SS21 SUBLIMATION INK (WATERBASED)

These happened to me with Cyan 3 months ago, and i had to change the printhead.
But you may want to try the following things before chaning the printhead.

First of All, i would do a ink test damper by damper, i dont remember how to in service menu at the moment but there is a function that make a straight line 100% color with 1 damper to check if there are any damage or something.

Then, i'd check if dampers filters are clean if they arent i'd do a cleaning on them passing through Cleaning solution until they look clean... you can see the damper filter . The rectangle is the filter if that is dirty,full of clogged ink and impossible to clean, you may need to change this damper.
To try cleaning it put cleaning solution catrdige in the catridge socket that is casuing you trouble, then open valve of the correct socket(now cleaning solution), and start sucking with a sryigne without needle. These will also clean ink tubes that in long uses can be clogged with ink like cholesterol to us(lol).
do the same thing with ink until the damper is fullfilled then try again.

2) Adjust and clean the cap station... For cleaning it you may find some screws on it its easy to remove and for me I use SS21 Water based ink so you can cleaning with just water. I Dont know how to Adjust this but there is a function in service menu to adjust the position of this until it make enough seal to pump correctly.

3) Clean the printhead Manually. its not difficult but you can brake the printhead if you do this in the wrong way.
To do this. Take all the dampers Out. A sryinge with a tube instead of a needle, start sending with very but very low pressure, cleaning solution trough dampers sockets. socket by socket when i mean socket is that plastic "needle" where you insert the dampers. until cleaning solution is 100% clean coming through.

4) Last thing after trying everything, i'd change the printhead. how many Mts did you print? (you can view this on the LIST function). how long has been in the machine working?

Hope it helps you.
Sorry for my english.
Solution in other thread was replacing cap station.
hope that helps, wrote it in another thread.

bloobird0

you print on oracal 651? Is there any reason why? (it's aimed at cut vinyl, not as print vinyl).

I sometimes print on 651 when I need to print black on a specific vinyl color but do your regularily do this?

DustinD

Merchant Member
You might have bent the metal retainer on your head. Take a quick look at it. If you did you can remove it. I would also replace the cap on the mimaki's yearly. It's cheap.

LaserMan

@bloobird0 - Yes, we print on 651. It's cheap and quality looks great.

@DustinD - Thanks, I'll order a new cap station.