• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV33 headstrike problem!!!!

SameDay Signs

Today as always we were printing banner when somehow out of nowhere the baner must have shifted which caused a head strike to printer and color fallout. I did the cleans and ink fill up and cannot get back 1/2 my yellow and about 10% of a black channel...Any ideas is greatly helpful as im flipping out right now all because my worker was outside talking to a buddy instead of working, needless to say if this can't be fixed we will be 1 guy less come Monday

slopoke

I always had good luck doing a 15-30 minute head soak with cleaning solution and then a hard cleaning to resolve dropouts after a head strike. Depending on how bad, I've had to repeat the process a second time. It's an agonizing wait but it's always worked in the 5 years I've had a JV33.

ikarasu

Does your operator sit there watching the printer as it prints 8 hours a day? Usually we hit print and go do other stuff... Come back when the queue is done and load a new roll and repeat. Headstrikes happen, whether media was loaded slanted or what. Cheap banner tends to lift/ bow, banner causes most head striking problems.

If he's outside talking instead of working, for sure reppremand him. But unless he specifically did something to cause a strike..

Did it crash, or was it continually running? Sometimes the ink can dry if it's left running and keeps rubbing over the banner. A couple head cleanings, at most a soak and it should fix it... Unless it's completely bent instead of clogged, which it could be. Then the only fix would be a head replacement.

SameDay Signs

Busted butt and got the nozzles to give me a 99% perfect test...im missing maybe 2 lines from black and 2 from magneta.....so super glad yet i cannot get the banding to go down...now i have banding on the red/purple and tanish colors? Any ideas...Did not band before and the nozzle test is working well

SameDay Signs

Does your operator sit there watching the printer as it prints 8 hours a day? Usually we hit print and go do other stuff... Come back when the queue is done and load a new roll and repeat. Headstrikes happen, whether media was loaded slanted or what. Cheap banner tends to lift/ bow, banner causes most head striking problems.

If he's outside talking instead of working, for sure reppremand him. But unless he specifically did something to cause a strike..

Did it crash, or was it continually running? Sometimes the ink can dry if it's left running and keeps rubbing over the banner. A couple head cleanings, at most a soak and it should fix it... Unless it's completely bent instead of clogged, which it could be. Then the only fix would be a head replacement.

so the whole point was i had noticed it being near end of roll and sliding a little bit and i said hey stay here and make sure it doesn't catch the edge...if it does you know stop print eat the loss and reprint being we had like a couple feet is all left of a good size banner yet instead of that he sees a buddy and runs out to say hi, normally i'd say stuff happens but because he couldn't wait 30 seconds more for a print to quit now i have to sit and go boiy maybe i need a new printhead or have to pay a tech $400 to come for a couples hours....I chalk it up to stupidity on his part or maybe im just to picky IDK

ikarasu

Nozzles could still be dirty, or again bent.

Deflected nozzles tend to cause banding... And it can make the nozzle prints look good. I'd do a few more cleanings... Maybe make a 2-3 inch bar x the width of your media of C,M,Y,K and print it. It'll cause so much usage it might push away any dried ink... Usually that's how we fix any clogs.

ikarasu

so the whole point was i had noticed it being near end of roll and sliding a little bit and i said hey stay here and make sure it doesn't catch the edge...if it does you know stop print eat the loss and reprint being we had like a couple feet is all left of a good size banner yet instead of that he sees a buddy and runs out to say hi, normally i'd say stuff happens but because he couldn't wait 30 seconds more for a print to quit now i have to sit and go boiy maybe i need a new printhead or have to pay a tech $400 to come for a couples hours....I chalk it up to stupidity on his part or maybe im just to picky IDK
In that case I'd say it was his fault. I never leave a printer when I know it might run out of substrate... Especially banner.

Whether you fire him or.not depends on what it's worth to you. Just remember it might cost you more to train someone new, who might cause a lot of headstrikes while learning. So base it on whether he's generally a good employee or not.

Hope your heads are only temp damaged! I feel your pain. Our seiko machine needs 6 heads replaced due to what we believe was a wiper malfunction. Nothing like a $25,000 repair bill.