• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV33 Ink Coverage

Rising

Afternoon all.

We have had our JV33 over 3 years now, great machine. Only ever used the profiles that came witn Rasterlink, with the addition of a few other from the website. we do alll sorts of jobs using diff resolutions, the lowest being 540 x 1080.

This setting still seems to put down a fairly heavy layer of ink. We do jobs that are viewed from distance and could easily warrant a lower amount of ink being put down, or a lower resolution.
Could anyone point us how to reduce the ink coverage without making the image to dull, (we have tried the saturation option in set up) or recommend a source of more profiles other than the mimaki website.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

petesign

What kind of inks are you running? Most manufacturers offer profiles for their media, as long as you aren't running ES3.... if you are running eco-solvent, good luck finding any profiles at all. I dial down the saturation levels by as much as 25% on some of my prints... especially banners with black backgrounds if I want to print on 6 pass, sometimes even 12. It just takes forever to dry otherwise.

Dice

If your looking for profiles for Rasterlink good luck. Your best bet would be your supplier or the vendor who sold you the printer.

I believe that the jv33 should run in 540 x 740.

The only way to really be serious about this is to invest in a true rip like onyx and also create your own profiles with an Eye-One.

If your looking to reduce your ink costs look into triangle ink.

Letterbox Mike

The only way to really be serious about this is to invest in a true rip like onyx and also create your own profiles with an Eye-One.

This is the best way to get better prints with less ink usage. You're going to be hard pressed to find a good array of good profiles for Rasterlink, it's not a widely supported RIP. Switch to Onyx and you'd find bazillions of canned profiles ready to go, but you'll still not totally solve the ink issue. Custom profiles are the only way to tackle this.

Rising

Thanks for the feedback fellas.

Yeah I know Rasterlink has its limits on profiles, but on the whole its a pretty good rip, colours are good and it was free.

The thought of making our own profiles sounds very daunting. Maybe look into a second user Onyx rip.

We do reduce the saturation but that does dull the colours alot.

Steve

signswi

It's really not that daunting at all. You could be trained on making a profile in Onyx and getting it right in a couple of hours. Fast process too once you've done it a few times.

Other option would be Caldera, which is starting to steal some of Onyx's thunder (especially on your side of the pond). In either case, spending on a good rip and an i1 (or an equiv. profiling device) are necessary buy ins when you want to get serious. To top it off properly profiled media/machines use less ink and the savings from that will pay for the rip software and profiling device over time. Canned profiles dump much more ink than is required to achieve a good image.

artbot

just reduce the ink coverage in the profile. your rip may be slightly different (i'm using rasterlink pro II).

in the rip:

choose the image_choose the profile/resolution_choose color edit_choose color adjust_go to the bottom and title the alteration (this name will only be available for the previously chosen profile. it will remain there for jobs in the future)_click add_

whole effects the image globally vector and raster
illustration effects vectors and has individual color control
image effects raster and has individual color control

i'd start by dropping "whole" to about -15 to start and see what you get.