Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JV33 owners?

Discussion in 'Mimaki' started by petesign, Sep 21, 2012.

1. petesign

petesign Very Active Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Hoover AL
    Hey, I'm swapping from ES3 to SS21, and building a ventilation system for it. Could any of you who have one post a few pics of the enclosure around the prints? I want to see how Mimaki did it, and compare that to how I am thinking of making mine.

The pics online aren't exactly useful. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tags:
  2. petesign

Feb 27, 2010
    Hoover AL
    bump, please?

3. Fuzzbuster

Fuzzbuster Active Member

Mar 23, 2008
  4. petesign

Feb 27, 2010
    Hoover AL
    Ok, don't laugh.... made this quick fix to see how it would work after swapping to ss21. So far, it doesn't even smell as bad as printing banners on the es3 did.. So I am happy. Not bad for less than 200 bucks in parts and coroplast.

Changing the inks out turned out to be tricky, I learned a lot about my machine. The valves on the back of the ink cartridges locked up somehow, on 5 of 8 cartridges during the flush. Had to take that whole side apart, and see why those lines were ink starved. I tried pulling ink from the dampers with a syringe, leaving them open to gravity feed, pushing solvent back through the valves and needle... none of that worked. I thought I was going to need to replace all of those valves... then we took apart the solenoid assembly on the back (on the first one at least) and manually depressed and pulled the plunger for the valve. All of a sudden ink flowed... on the rest all we had to do was remove the plastic rocker and push it in and pull it out. (In case anyone has that problem in the future.)

Attached Files:

5. petesign

Feb 27, 2010
    Hoover AL
    Oh, and that big streak of magenta... yeah, that's when I got the ink flowing and didnt have everything put back together..... :) I am going to leave it there as a reminder.

6. SightLine

SightLine Very Active Member

Heh..... nice job. If it works it works! Yeah you have to be aware that the ink train on a JV33 is not as simple as a JV3, the solenoids throw a lot of people off when they try to forcibly draw ink from down the line and get nothing.

Ours is not vented well right now. We are getting ready to move though and I'm building a small round front acrylic walled room just for the Mimaki which will be about 6' x 10' with a 8' ceiling. Actually just today I metered the fan connector on the JV33 to verify it's voltage and polarity, the fan connector puts out 24VDC negative switched. I'm going to tap that to drive a contactor (with a 24VDC coil) to automatically run a 400CFM AC exhaust fan that will be piped outside for the little room the printer will be in.

7. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Major Contributor

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    I'm impressed. Mine just vents into my work room as it's printing, haven't gotten around to building an enclosure or hooking up pipes yet.

8. Masseria

Masseria Member

Jul 23, 2012
    nice job... im using aqua based inks so no vent needed but it has a smell that makes me wash my clothes like 2 times.....
    cant understand why you closed the media take up device... so much smell?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2012