• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV33 Printhead, suitable for JV5?

DigitalBBQ

Even for authorized technician, if they installed JV33 or JV5 printhead onsite; the print head may not accept frequency from the motherboard's controller; or in fact, some genuine print head might actually fry the motherboard itself! If this happened, either the manufacturer or the authorized dealer will be responsible for it as a likely the scenario.

For anyone who buying their own print head, and do it on your own; consider yourself a GENIUS:clapping::thumb:
Either that or a very risky business minder. And for any one who's already entitled GENIUS as described, please do tell :notworthy:

Robert72

So are that problem due to crappy $1600 printheads or to crappy $50000 Mimaki JV5s?? Are Epson or Mimaki guilty, or might be us idiot printers believing all the false statements the vendors say and suffering the lack of support?

MaxxGrafix

Even for authorized technician, if they installed JV33 or JV5 printhead onsite; the print head may not accept frequency from the motherboard's controller; or in fact, some genuine print head might actually fry the motherboard itself! If this happened, either the manufacturer or the authorized dealer will be responsible for it as a likely the scenario.

For anyone who buying their own print head, and do it on your own; consider yourself a GENIUS:clapping::thumb:
Either that or a very risky business minder. And for any one who's already entitled GENIUS as described, please do tell :notworthy:

So, back in basically October about a month before manufacturer warranty was up we had a pretty nasty storm in Indy and the lightning didn't even hurt our surge protector/battery back up: however, it carried it's nice little self into my print computer, CG 130, and jv33- So, call up grimco support ... warranty hoopla.... ya, ya, ya. tear down computer, new hard drive and motherboard, re install finecut and plotter works just fine, but printer is zapped. error 50 if i recall correctly and the head memory is bad. they send out new head and head memory from mimaki. install, prints about 40 sq. ft. - bad head memory again. call grimco, new head, head memory and motherboard, grimco proceeds to tell me that normally whenever they see head memory go out the motherboard is bad also. i'm upset they failed to tell me this first time around. install new head, head memory, new motherboard. nothing. call grimco, send out new motherboard, head, head memory, other miscellaneous boards for motherboard, boards that go behind inks, and 100% of cables. They proceed to tell me when head memory goes bad, they normally send a new head, head memory, motherboard, and all wires- again, this is an issue they had not discussed w/ me two previous times. at this point in time i am a week and a half out of printer. finally get all my stuff, and put it all together. grimco wants me to pay $1400 for them to come out and adjust printer after i've already put in all the labor on tearing my whole jv33 apart and putting it back together. they want something like $65/hour for drive time from and back to st. louis. No thank you- I then read the full manual on this printer, and go through the process of finding a magnifying glass powerful enough which i am evidently incapable of doing and then decide to use a Cannon 75-300mm photography lens to acquire magnification and to set printer back to crystal clear print quality.
First lesson is, if you want a job done right do it yourself.
Second lesson is, you get what you pay for.

This means that when you spend money on the right parts, you get better results. I could save a fifth by going with plug and play inks, however I have ran this machine strong for a year and a few months, and have not had to continually replace dampers and heads, and have heartache and nightmares about what the printer might do each day.

MaxxGrafix

Yes, they share same print head

JV33/ JV5 print head $670 shipped within united states. All print head sold by fieldcenter is brand new genuine shipped from southern california.

availability is limited.

Price is now $700+ shipping. Give me a call.

It is new genuine epson 10000 print head, period. We have several in stock to ship.

Francis
949-209-7306

None taken.

By the way, we are based in S. California just some of our suppliers are based in Asia. If it was our misquotation, we always offer next day service to correct the problem. This is our first time mis-quote to be exact.

$1,400 shipped to door for new genuine jv33 print head.

Francis
949-209-7306

this would be the same product misquoted twice?

inkmed

JV5 and JV33 head

hi,

i guess i know what you mean and it´s like this:

the jv5 runs an epson IH47V head ( oem-licensed only ) ... so does the jv33 ..

but:

on jv33 there is an option in the electronics missing to block other heads to be installed - so there are compatible ones existing !
on the jv5 it´s working - and refusing any head then the original IH47V

i installed several heads to JV33 / VJ and also JV5 so i know about..

best regards from germany,
yours jan :)

Jan is right.
Both JV5 head and JV33 head are DX5 head, but there is a different between them.

But the price is same.

Adam
from inkmed

Robert72

The price is not the same. You can put a DX5 solvent printhead working on a JV33/Valuejet for barely half the price of a JV5 printhead.

Printhead

So, what is the problem everyone is having?
I'm currently in the need for 4 (you read that right) JV5 heads, because the black OEM HS ink clogged them all. CMY is perfect, not missing a single nozzle, but my black is about 30-40% clogged on all heads.
This is a terrible situation for us. We are out of warranty for a while now, but this is still Mimaki's fault. We're pushing pretty hard for them to swallow the cost of replacement.
Anyway, they probably won't pay,
so if those JV33 heads are a perfect fit, for 1 400$ that's about a third of the price the distributor would be charging for a JV5 head.
After the dust settle with Mimaki and the distributor we may be doing business, Fieldcenter. But I'll need a guarantee that those heads will be compatible.

Dice

I was told once by a tech that the JV33 and the JV5 are the exact same print heads, the only difference is there is a small heater on the print head that the JV5 uses and the JV33 does not. When they install the heads on the JV33 they just don't plug in the little heater on the printhead.

I can't confirm it though.

Robert72

I was told once by a tech that the JV33 and the JV5 are the exact same print heads, the only difference is there is a small heater on the print head that the JV5 uses and the JV33 does not. When they install the heads on the JV33 they just don't plug in the little heater on the printhead.

I can't confirm it though.

Well, I have those heaters disconnected on the JV5 and I don't feel the difference.

Regarding the printhead compatibility, to explain better, there's a printhead tailored for the JV5 which costs about $2000 or more. That head is also suitable for the JV33.

However, there's a printhead, the Epson DX5 solvent version, which costs about the half and being phisically identical, the JV5 doesn't recognize it, because that damn machine has a security identifier for mimaki to be sure you plug the most expensive printhead.

That's how Mimaki cheats the users, sell a machine with lots of problems, sell a defective black ink which inturn ruins the printheads, and also make you to put the most expensive printhead. I'll never buy a mimaki again. The problem isn't exactly on the machine (there's no perfect machine) but the way Mimaki support their customers.

PS: If anybody comes and discover how to avoid the printhead identification on JV5 (some dips in service mode or some modified firmware) to let us mount the cheaper DX5 heads, please let us, the poor JV5 users, know how to.

Dice

I don't think I've ever heard of a happy Jv5 customer. Lots of happy jv3, jv33 happy customers.

inkmed

they are not same.
Jv5 head with a calefaction slice, Jv33 head without.
the original head price is same.
but Jv33 can use the printer head from Epson, the price is half of the original head price.

Adam
from Inkmed

COREYAARON

Here is the deal once and for all so all you know. Mechanically speaking, the Mutoh, Epson, and mimaki high-speed heads are all the same structurally. As far as mimaki goes there are different versions, there are newer 33 heads and newer 5 heads. I have my own Mimaki dealership based in Atlanta. I have installed 33 heads into 5s with no problems and vice versa. Thus assuming they are the old school versions. The newer ones are not quite as compatible. As far as any heads being installed and not being accepted that is common as we all know. Earlier someone said the wrong head could fry the motherboard, false information. If anything the motherboard wouldn't accept it but unless you pour chocolate milk on the ribbon cables and then install it then there would be no reason why the motherboard would fry. Big ups to Francis kao. Peace

PaintBallMan

Gentlemen,
I really thin this problem is easy solved.
This problem for me is an difference of the ID of the head and the ID configured in the Head Memory PCB.
In Jv33 if you change the Head Memory PCB to other already used in other machine, your print head not will work properly. Because the system set the ID in the initial setup in the first time you power on. After this, when you make a change sometimes it can be configured auto or not, if not you need set this manually.
So the used Head Memory PCB have one ID of the first head its configured, when you put this Head Memory PCB in other printer, you need setup the ID of the actual Print head installed, on this new(used) Head Memory PCB.

inkmed

The price is not the same. You can put a DX5 solvent printhead working on a JV33/Valuejet for barely half the price of a JV5 printhead.

original JV33 head and original JV5 head price is same.

but JV33 can uese Epson DX5 head, the price is low, more or less $600 each pc.
JV5 can only use original Mimaki JV5 head, the price is more or less $1200.

it is why JV33 head price is half of jv5 head price

Adam from Inkmed

thierry69

hello
I have problems with my JV5 (heads) someone has to install new
JV33 heads or Epson Stylus Pro 4000 on a Mimaki JV5?
modified firmware?

thank you

Jemmings

Back at the start of the thread someone asked if JV33 and JV5 print heads were the same. The answer is both yes and no. JV5 print heads having green ribbon cable connectors can be used in JV5 and JV33 machines. Heads that will work in JV33 but not JV5 have the black ribbon cable connectors.

drive

...and if you don't like replacing heads on a jv5 because of the HS inks, switch them to ES3 eco-solvents.
1-1 acetone - iso flush does a good job of cleaning the HS ink funk out of them in my experience.