• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV33 uneven colors

momentmfg

I have been struggling getting my JV33-160 to print solid colors. The art file is vector. Attached is a photo of the best results I can achieve...

Here are my print specs:
720x1080
Apply Total Ink Limit: 175%
BiDirectional
6 pass
Dot size: Variable
Weave Pattern: default
pre:30C
print:30C
after:50c

Using Sgprint rip software.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 107

Matt-Tastic

Looks more like a media issue due to low color saturation rather than anything the printer is doing.

If you have other pictures that show more why you think its related to the printer, please add those.

Letterbox Mike

That looks like a combination of media, resolution and heat. Your pre and print heaters are extremely low, which can cause unpredictable color. The resolution you have listed as 720x1080, I'm assuming that's a typo, I don't think that's an option on the JV33, but I could be wrong. Either way, try going to 540x1080 6 pass or maybe 12 pass, and bump the heat up a bit. I don't know what you're printing on, but you should be able to get 5-10 more degrees out of both of those heaters.

MikePro

same results in unidirectional?
how's your test print look?
what media you using? do you have a profile for it?

highest pass, unidirectional, and a head setting of 32/34 is my standard for fields of solid fill. granted, i run a jv3160 but it's not that different.

TheSnowman

You can do 720 X 1080 on a JV33, but according to the tech I talked to it likes to do 540 X 1080 better. I print both, and I do feel like the 720 is better when printing slow. If I'm printing fast, I roll with 540.

I'd try the heat thing too. Bump it up a little and see if it changes.

momentmfg

We are using Beaver Texprint paper.

Also, whenever I go more than 6 passes the printer just dumps ink on the paper...

Thanks for all the ideas. I'll give it a shot and report back.

Vinylman

I am wondering what rip you are using?

I am running the Rasterlink software that comes standard with the Mimaki JV 33 and the three basic settings only allow 4 Pass 8 pass, and 12 Pass. You of course can print numerous additional passes by altering the number of times the printhead reprints the image. This can be adjusted in the adjustments tab, but usually is not necessary.
You can check how many passes your printer is making by watching the print and count number of times the printhead needs to complete in order to finish printing a quality print.

I am not at all familiar with any standard option to get 6 passes.

Perhaps you should contact Mimaki and or the person you purchased the printer from. They would be my first contact regarding this problem.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
It sounds like he is trying to use JV3 (4x DX4 head based machines) resolutions and passes. The native resolution of the older DX4 heads was 720 which is why those always got the best results using 720. On the newer DX5 head the native resolution of the head is 540x1080 which is the sweet spot resolution for these.

Try a 540x1080 8 pass profile. You can also get excellent results on these with lower resolutions/passes but you have to have good profiles for the specific media and resolution as well as making sure your Dot Position and Feed Comps are set just right.

Letterbox Mike

It sounds like he is trying to use JV3 (4x DX4 head based machines) resolutions and passes. The native resolution of the older DX4 heads was 720 which is why those always got the best results using 720. On the newer DX5 head the native resolution of the head is 540x1080 which is the sweet spot resolution for these.

Try a 540x1080 8 pass profile. You can also get excellent results on these with lower resolutions/passes but you have to have good profiles for the specific media and resolution as well as making sure your Dot Position and Feed Comps are set just right.

I don't think 540x1080 can go to 8-pass, I'm pretty sure it's 6, 12 or 24.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Yep.... missed that. A x1080 or x540 resolution will be 6, 12, or 24 pass. A x720 resolution can run 4, 8, or 16 pass. A x900 resolution will be 10, 20, or 40 :omg: pass. And a x1440 resolution will be 8, 16, or 32 pass. At least those are the options I get in FlexiSign.

Actuals available resolutions in Flexi are 540x720, 540x900, 540x1080, 720x540, 720x720, 720x1080, 720x1440, and 1440x1440.

We regularly use 540x720 and 540x1080 for the most part.

Masseria

To check if you have ink issues without using rip or other things that can influence.
You can go into the Service Menu by pressing remote and function while turning on, and check color per color 100% in different qualitys and passes.
I cant remember the stepbystep in the menu, but im sure you can find out.
but make sure you dont touch what you dont know...