• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV33 vs. JV5 - Which to buy?

MindsEyeOpen

The new shop I'm with is looking to pick up another printer. We are currently running a Mimaki JV33 as our main "workhorse". I've used a JV3 and JV33 in the past and love them both. I'm tempted to recommend another JV33 to run alongside this one. The owner mentioned a JV5. I've never used one though I have researched them a bit.

Does anyone have any practical advice or a real-world comparison? Any reason to get the JV5 over the JV33?

Thanks!

Robert M

Jv33

Stick with the JV33, while super fast the JV5 is tuff to work on due to the nature of the multiple print heads.

MindsEyeOpen

Stick with the JV33, while super fast the JV5 is tuff to work on due to the nature of the multiple print heads.

That is another reason I am leaning towards another JV33. I've overhauled a couple of them and am very familiar with them mechanically. While the speed of the JV5 would be nice, having two JV33's running side by side would be more than enough to keep up with our workload.

Letterbox Mike

I agree. Actually considering you can get a JV33 for around $16k I'd actually look at maybe adding two additional JV33s if you have the floor space, that would give you three machines, even though they're not as fast as a JV5, that's a whole lot of flexibility and redundancy.

Plus, with proper profiling, JV33s can run respectably fast. I would absolutely not buy a JV33 without buying a stand-alone infrared dryer (Digi-dri). If you want to squeeze decent speed out of it you will need it, we couldn't live without ours.

inkmed

I agree. Actually considering you can get a JV33 for around $16k I'd actually look at maybe adding two additional JV33s if you have the floor space, that would give you three machines, even though they're not as fast as a JV5, that's a whole lot of flexibility and redundancy.

Plus, with proper profiling, JV33s can run respectably fast. I would absolutely not buy a JV33 without buying a stand-alone infrared dryer (Digi-dri). If you want to squeeze decent speed out of it you will need it, we couldn't live without ours.

I prefer JV33 too.
As our experience with our customers, JV33 is fast enough and the printhead cost is low. Use JV5, it is so heavy cost when the cost need change.

Adam Yang from Inkmed

particleman

Get another JV33, you already have one and it is proven. The JV5 has a reputation for being temper mental. Not that you won't get any work done with it, but it is much less user friendly. It prints very fast but very often you fight the fact the ink does dry fast enough before rolling up. It fits a niche for a lot of shops if you get it dialed in right. I know more than one large sign supply company that will not service the JV5 either if that tells you anything.

Masseria

Jv33 is a workhorse as you said, we keep working a complete month 24/7 until printhead died.... anyway for other reasons we are planning to chnge to Mutoh. Faster, cheaper, and wasatch rip.