Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

jv400

Discussion in 'Mimaki' started by toodark, Jun 18, 2012.

1. toodark

toodark Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Minot, ND
    Does it print LM and LC? I have seen ads where it states it does and then other where it only list CMYK and W. Whats up?

Tags:
  2. Robert M

Robert M Very Active Member

Jan 23, 2007
    colorado
    CMYK lclm W

I can get you a sample if you like

3. toodark

toodark Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Minot, ND
    That would be geat. Do you sell Mimaki or do you have one in your shop?

4. Robert M

Robert M Very Active Member

Jan 23, 2007
    colorado
    I sell Mimaki but I do not have a JV400 on hand, I do have samples, pm me with your address.

5. moggle

moggle New Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Robert is incorrect i'm afraid.
    LC and LM have been discontinued for the JV400.

Thanks

6. toodark

toodark Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Minot, ND
    $31,000.00. :omg2:

7. VanderJ

VanderJ Merchant Member - Printer Parts and Sevice

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
  8. toodark

toodark Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Minot, ND
    I finally got a chance to see this machine run. Dealer was very negative about white ink. Then I about passed out when they came out with th $31,000.00 price tag!!

9. tomence

tomence Very Active Member

Feb 10, 2009
    IL
    I got a price of $26000 for the 64" model.

10. toodark

toodark Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Minot, ND
    Little better than what I got quoted, and that was without a set of inks. Add another $1500!!!!

11. DigitalPrintTech

DigitalPrintTech New Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Whitewright, TX
    May I ask why this Model?
    Just curious

12. tomence

tomence Very Active Member

Feb 10, 2009
    IL
    I think my quote is without the ink. So add another 1500 to my price.

13. moggle

moggle New Member

Sep 16, 2011
  14. SightLine

SightLine Very Active Member

Straight from the link you just posted.

"Eight ink cartridges can be installed. One of ink color configuration is chosen at the time of introduction. Two major color configurations
    5-color mode (CMYK + white): White ink print feature. 4-color mode(CCMMYYKK): Higher productivity purpose for large sized print such like billboards."

If you know the reputation of Mimaki's as being very well regarded as one of the most well built, reliable workhorses made that would answer your question. People are still running 10+ years old JV3 machines every day with little to no issues. Parts are widely available, and if something does go awry, it's generally pretty easy to fix and there is gobs of help out there to help. Similar to our own business philosiphy. We might not be the cheapest shop in town to go to, but that is for a reason. You get what you pay for, and our customers continue to come back to us even after trying some of the cheaper options....

That being said, there is still a lot of question on Mimaki's entry into the latex arena. Time will tell how well the head lasts and what the ultimate real market price will end up bing to replace it if it does go on you. So far it soudns as though it might just be too expensive. While HP's heads are cheap, when you have to replace them several times over every years is it really cheaper in the long run? Time will tell, I'm still holding off on latex myself. I'd like to see how things shake out once a afew brands get machines on the market for a while. Solvent is still very very far from dead.

15. toodark

toodark Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Minot, ND
    I was wanting a latex machine.

16. moggle

moggle New Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Apologies, forgot about white. Yes white is still available, no issues there. Except speed.

I love Mimaki machinery they make excellent production machines, I hope the JV400 works out to be really good. but from what I have personally seen so far I am having my doubts.

4 Colour printing at that price tag simply wont sit in the market well, even if LC LM don't add much quality people have a perception that going from a 6 colour back to a 4 colour + W is a step back.

Speed is a major concern, especially with White.

This new printer is a step forward with the latex ink, but unfortunately a step back in speed, gamut, quality and certain media are having issues printing well.