Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kala Laminator - Review Needed

Discussion in 'Laminators' started by Signed Out, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Signed Out

Signed Out Active Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Going to be purchasing a new laminator in the next couple of weeks. We currently have a Royal Sovereign 55" which has been good to us for the last 8 years but is showing it's age now. We also recently added a 64" printer and cutter, so the laminator is needed. We've checked them all out, would probably stick with a new RS since we know them and haven't had issues with ours, but the Kala Mistral really has our attention.

We saw it at the sign show in Vegas and all the automatic leveling and bells and whistles are great, but what we really like about it is the ability to trim while laminating. If you haven't checked these out yet, there are knifes on the back that you can set to trim excess laminate or edges of a graphic as you laminate it. I know there are some people out there who have made a similar setup on their own laminators too, so really could probably do this with any laminator.

I'm hoping somebody who uses a kala laminator could give a review of how well this function does or doesn't work. Mainly what we'd be looking to do with it is trim off the excess white margins of wrap jobs as you are laminating. Example: you have 48' trailer wraps, little more than a 50 yd roll of printed vinyl. Would you be able to load a full roll of printed vinyl onto the kala and laminate it while trimming the sides off? I would think with a 1 inch overlap that it should work pretty well and save a ton of time handling and trimming panels.

Tags:
  2. SIGNTIME

SIGNTIME Active Member

Aug 13, 2012
    NY
    We are in the exact same boat. Saw the Kala at Vegas just bought a S80 and S2-T160, and ready to replace our RS55. We have a job for 35 trailers, 53' to wrap and figure this feature would save at least 35hrs. * If it works as intended *. We also found you can add more slitters which would be great for decals.

3. CL Visual

CL Visual Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Copiague, NY
    don't have time to respond right now but I bought one with trimmer 2 months ago and love it. I have videos to show. takes a bit to get used to but saves tons of time. Message me if you want to know more and i'll give you my number.

4. bigben

bigben Moderator

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    Interesting. I would love to know more about this feature.

5. zspace

zspace Member

Jul 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    We've had a Kala laminator for just over a year. It replaced an old Seal 64S Pro. My operators love the Kala. It's faster than the Seal, it's easier to web up, and it tracks better. We regularly runs full rolls of vinyl end to end without any tracking issues. We bought the optional slitter, but haven't used it yet.

When it comes to mounting on boards, my production team still prefers the weight and heavier tables of the old seal.

6. Marshal

Marshal Member

Mar 29, 2017
    Minnesota
    our Seal has a trimmer option that we purchased afterwards and I installed it myself. It works pretty good, although I occasionally run into issues with any laminate overhanging sticking to the pull roller and getting wound up on that if I'm not paying attention.

7. Signed Out

Signed Out Active Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Upstate NY
    PM sent

8. Signed Out

Signed Out Active Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Thanks for your review! Interesting bit about the mounting and the light weight tables. What issue does this cause when mounting? Do the tables bounce around a bit? You are referring to the feed tray on the laminator, correct?

9. Signed Out

Signed Out Active Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I didn't know other lamiantors had optional trimmers too. Do you have a link to any info on what you have? I don't see anything on Seal's website about trimmer options.

10. Marshal

Marshal Member

Mar 29, 2017
    Minnesota
    We have a 62 Pro D, and it's part of the "productivity package" or something like that, but can be purchased by itself too. It bolts on to the support bar behind the top roller. It's nothing special really, just 2 blade holders on a slide that you can position anywhere, and the blades snap down to trim.

11. AF

AF Active Member

Dec 8, 2013
    USA
    Trimmers have been around for ages, but not typically found on the entry level machines most shops seem to buy. Nothing new under the sun.

12. rdm01

rdm01 Active Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Portland Metro Area
    We purcahsed a Kala Mistral about 3 months ago and have been in love with it since. Please note, we were coming from a 10-15 year old Seal (no take up, no feed, misaligned, couldn't track), so pretty much anything would have been an upgrade. However, for the price, the features offered, the build quality, it seems we made the right choice. It's vastly improved our lamination situation.