• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Keep getting substrate jams on L26

AKProbeGT

I did a rail lubrication like normal and then the carriage moved back and forth to spread the lubricant. When it got to the left side it made a loud noise and gave the 86:01 Substrate Jam warning. There was no substrate in the printer. I did get a spot of oil on the encoder strip while lubricating but wiped it off right away, before the carriage was ever moved. I did further research which says you can clean the encoder strip with tap water and a lint free cloth so I've done that several times. Every time, upon initialization, I get the same 86:01 when the carriage gets to the left hand side.

Any suggestions on what else to do? There is definitely nothing physically causing the jam. Have I ruined the encoder strip by getting that spot of oil on it even though I wiped it right off and then further cleaned it? If so it that something I can replace myself? This is our only printer so getting it going quickly is important.

AKProbeGT

Disregard the second post, not the original. I've put a call in with HP and I'm waiting for a tech to call back. I suspect the encoder strip is messed up. I can see a small ding in the strip on the left where I keep having issues. Not sure how it got there, maybe when it jammed while cleaning but I don't know what else it could be.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Have you cleaned the upper and lower rails really well and lubricated them? Could be time for new felts and also possibly bearings depending on how many SQFT has gone through the machine.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
I have had 4 25500's over the years and have yet to figure out how to clean the upper rail???

once the covers off it's easy, but getting the cover off is a bltch!

Christian @ 2CT Media

We have always just did it through the window with the printer off. Wipe it down with alcohol and lint less rag. Then oil it and the pads, move the carriage back and forth, then oil again.

When we used to get phantom jams it was always the top rail.

AKProbeGT

We have always just did it through the window with the printer off. Wipe it down with alcohol and lint less rag. Then oil it and the pads, move the carriage back and forth, then oil again.

When we used to get phantom jams it was always the top rail.

Well I cleaned and lubricated that top rail and that seems to have fixed the problem. The machine started right up without any issues after doing that. It was pretty dirty, especially on the left side where I was having issues. I know I've never cleaned or lubricated that part but I'll definitely be keeping and eye on it from now on. Thanks for the suggestions.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Well I cleaned and lubricated that top rail and that seems to have fixed the problem. The machine started right up without any issues after doing that. It was pretty dirty, especially on the left side where I was having issues. I know I've never cleaned or lubricated that part but I'll definitely be keeping and eye on it from now on. Thanks for the suggestions.
Yep...you will find the most grime and filth on the left end of the upper rail. Never knew how dirty that got till we had the whole top cover off.

Christian @ 2CT Media

If you have down time, I suggest taking both end covers off and doing a really good cleaning. Since you have never cleaned or lubed it I would also suggest new felts.