• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Keep the Digs Coming

EbsWeb5150

I would like to know the most cost effective way to to body wrap a
Hummer H1.
The design is approved and the layout was done in Bad Wraps.
Should you run the panels as long horizontal strip?

• The Equipment for the job is a Roland 54" VP540
• Have no laminated in house
• All we use is Arlon Bubble Free material (3 mil)
(only good for sides of vans not for anything concave or anything else for that matter)

just give it to me straight, I got the hide like an elephant and the memory of one also. Ha just kidding. Let me have it

Circleville Signs

Well, I'd do it as a solid panel for each side. I would totally scrap the Arlon material and go with 3M IJ180 V1.

You HAVE to laminate. Whether you do it in house or not is irrelivent. But it MUST be done.

That's about it. Have you done wraps before? because if not, this may not be the best vehicle to start out on.

Gary

Bigdawg

Just Me
I'd panel up and down - and do. And I agree with Gary that this will be a really tough vehicle to wrap if you have no experience. As well as the fact. YOU HAVE TO laminate this... seriously... don't even consider not.....

I'd go with the 3M IJ180 v3 though... I really like it better than the v1, but I'm not an installer.

Letterbox Mike

Ok.

Use 2 mil, not 3 mil. You MUST laminate also, if you can't do it in house, outsource it.

I wouldn't try horizontal panels on that unless you can do the entire side in one panel without a seam (which you can't with a 54" printer), either do vertical or go for a seamless wrap where each individual body panel is a vvinyl panel (door is a panel, fender is a panel, etc.).

Mosh

Got you one of those "wrap machines" did ya? No lamination, HA HA HA HA!.

Better practice on some smaller stuff before f'ing up 50 feet of material on a vehicle.

Premier Wraps

Make sure you use a cast material. Which is what was mentioned as the 3M recommendations above. Arlon's 3mil vinyl is calendared. Good cheap stuff, use it here like crazy for stickers and such. But for wrapping a car it's a big no no. If you're in love with Arlon use their 6000XRP and their 3220 lam. But if material manufactuer doesn't matter to you, go with the 3M or the Avery. Make sure it's a 2mil cast & 2mil cast lam though. I do agree you picked a doozy for your first wrap. Like mentioned above, panel it per door for your first wrap. It'll be easier for you to work with smaller pieces and if you screw up a panel in the process you only have to print that section. Not an entire side. As for laminated....like every one else said....it's must! Good luck.

wrapman jamz

Bummer man...get help, go with 3M (beginners best friend) and never, ever do anything worth keeping without overlam! I've done over 1000 wraps and only had someone think of doing one without overlam once. Crazy

If you don't get help. I suggest takin' up a religion and begin to pray :)

Mosh

I can just see this guy, mad as hell wraping this H1, wait isn't an H1 the original, and H2 and H3 are the road models? If you can afford an H1, why are they having someone who has never wraped before touch thier vehicle. Anyway, I hope he wraps it with no lam and comes on here after a car wash or two mad as hell his wrap has Hummed him. "Roland said there was a 3 year life on this stuff WTF?" I'll show those guys on signs101 who is the best softball player with a goatee and fist bump. Right here man "bump"!

Circleville Signs

I can just see this guy, mad as hell wraping this H1, wait isn't an H1 the original, and H2 and H3 are the road models? If you can afford an H1, why are they having someone who has never wraped before touch thier vehicle. Anyway, I hope he wraps it with no lam and comes on here after a car wash or two mad as hell his wrap has Hummed him. "Roland said there was a 3 year life on this stuff WTF?" I'll show those guys on signs101 who is the best softball player with a goatee and fist bump. Right here man "bump"!

OK....That was funny. Mosh, you're like a little brother...Annoying as hell, and infuriating to boot...But you're starting to grow on me...

Gary

kstompaint

We did one with Oracal 3951RA & 290G laminate. It was a b***h. The customer is re-branding and we will be removing the old wrap after the first of the year and applying a new one. This time I will definitely use 3M and may try the IJ380.