• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Keeping the coals glowing...what inspires you this time of year?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
As my work slows down for the winter season, I typically take a job in a local factory to keep the bills paid until things pick up in the spring. My factory job is a skilled position. It pays well, and is one in which I was trained via an apprenticeship over twenty-five years ago (tool and die).

Through several “course corrections” over the years, and a near miss mid-life crisis in my early thirties, I have been self-employed for the past six years, building my business from the ground up…starting out with absolutely zero business skills. In all honesty, it hasn’t been the prettiest picture, but it is what it is. Since I once majored in education, I have acquired a considerable “toolbox” of skills and abilities that have opened many doors, permitting my transition into the business arena.

This time of year is always a struggle as I seem to lose my “creative edge” and “hunger” for the business. Taking a steady paycheck every week sure has its advantages, but I’ve found it has the uncanny ability to stifle dreams and ambitions. The long hours (coupled with stress, and a very tense boss) seem to be taking its toll lately, and my “don’t give a crap” attitude has had me concerned. But in all honesty, this forum has been my lifeline for inspiration for the past few months, and I usually stop by on lunch break to get my fix.

But during this brief season of respite, I dusted off my business plan this weekend, and have settled in to do some major business (and life) planning for the upcoming year. I’ve also revived my interest in journaling again…especially in terms of business ideas. But this time, no e-gadgets are allowed. I’m holding a well-balanced ink pen in the ol’ south paw. And when compared to the incessant clack of a keyboard, there’s something uniquely therapeutic about artfuly scratching out words across cotton rag paper.

If you’ve never tried journaling, I encourage you to do so. You’ll gain an incredible amount of perspective, and it’s always assuring to learn that “big” problems don’t seem to look so big when looking back through the pages of time.

So, here’s a new year’s toast to whatever inspires you.

JB

Last edited:

GypsyGraphics

If you’ve never tried journaling, I encourage you to do so. You’ll gain an incredible amount of perspective, and it’s always assuring to learn that “big” problems don’t seem to look so big when looking back through the pages of time.

So, here’s a new year’s toast to whatever inspires you.

JB

i've never kept a journal, in fact, didn't even know i liked writing, till i joined signs101. i think the idea of a journal never appealed to me because, to take the time to write something that no one is going to read seemed kinda sad. last year i set up a website for a blog but had more excuses why not to write than ideas of what to write.

my top 5 excuses
1. same thought as with the journal, who's gonna read it?
2. i'd need to learn how to use WordPress.
3. i might feel pressured to start my sentences with an uppercase letter.
4. i have a tendency to say waaaay too much.
5. i have no clue what to write about, to get started... although i could see myself get addicted if i got on a roll.

maybe i should make it my new years resolution

(i like the way you write James, if you had a blog, i'd read it)

James Burke

I think the idea of a journal never appealed to me because, to take the time to write something that no one is going to read seemed kinda sad.

Good news for you, GG. Basically, the journaling I'm talking about borders a little more on the introspective side of things...and isn't meant to be shared with anyone. Its primary purpose is to assist you in working through challenging or conflicting situations, or sorting out thoughts and ideas. But by far, its most valuable reward is that it serves as a basis for future comparision.

My first two teaching jobs pressed me far beyond what I thought I could ever handle, and after reading through my journals of those six (very long) years, I now realize much of the stress and frustration actually produced some pretty darn good results.

And while I wouldn't want to go through all that crap again, it's helped me gain a far greater understanding of myself.

I'm going to take a wild stab here and throw out the notion that many mid-life crises are the result of not fully understanding who we really are.

It's amazing how a few good hard knocks from life can straighten it all out...so long as we're prepared to be a student through it all. And taking good notes (journaling) along the way is a good way to skillfuly deal with it all. It also serves as a vivid reminder to avoid the stupid repeats (and total start-overs) that typically occur throughout life.

JB

Last edited:
W

www.esigns.com

thanks for sharing James. Just wanted to let you know that I apreciate all that you have shared regarding your journey of self employment and especially sharing regarding your continuous education.

whenever I am in the planning stages of any project I put pen to paper. Many years ago I had the opportunity to participate in 'Masters of Excellence' & I completed the whole series which at the time consisted of 54 weeks of lectures by motivational speakers, entrepreneurs, & a variety of presenters with specialized skillsets that were informative & beneficial to small business owners/sales professionals/budding entrepreneurs/etc.

One of the skills that they strongly encouraged was 'journaling' & they presented participants with hardbacked shelf quality journals which I use to this day. I do not journal on a daily basis but rather in the planning phase of most projects & again at completion, recapping my execution,challenges, notes,thoughts,results,etc.

15 plus years later it has become a valuable personal resource that I often find myself returning to when faced with a challenge or even when I simply need inspiration & encouragement that I can & will make it through a challenging task at hand.

just a personal preference I also include quotations from people of history that inspire me whenever possible in relationship to what I am journaling about & I also include notes in my journaling regarding any books or specific chapters of books etc., that I have read in regards to any challenge or project that I am working on/journaling about,this has been a valuable addition more times than I can recall because I can quickly return to a reference book(s) & find additional information about a similar challenge that I am facing.

thank you for sharing. Happy New Year!

just a sidenote, I have trendous respect for tool & die makers,having worked closely with many as a millwright without a doubt they are the most incredible troubleshooters & internal 'thinkers' I have ever encountered.

James Burke

money. no more, no less. preferably more, and not less.

Yep...money is necessary, but twenty years ago when I was working in the shop full time, I was knockin' down the big bucks while missing my kid's birthday parties.

I intentionally kept that year's stack of pay stubs (still have them) as a sober reminder that the almighty dollar doesn't always buy happiness.

Fifty grand (back then) meant absolutely nothing to a five-year-old when he's blowing out the candles all by himself.

JB

ProWraps

i would jump out a window, set myself on fire, and slit my throat on the way down if i only made $50k a year. but i get what you are saying. my daughters first bday is in 3 months. ill be there no matter what the cost.

James Burke

i would jump out a window, set myself on fire, and slit my throat on the way down if i only made $50k a year.

That was then, this is now...and our "new economic reality" has really put a serious strain on the liberality of those kinds of (factory) of wages. Looking back, I'm thankful I made the tough choices to diversify my skillset.

JB

zmatalucci

50k is a respectful yearly salary for many. I remind myself daily of how fortunate I am, and how fast that you can go from being on top, to right back down to the bottom.

People may think I'm "New Money", but believe me, I am grateful for everything I have earned. I even bought my parents a 6night trip to Florence & Venice Italy for Christmas, as they have pushed me to be the best I can be, and have helped me immensely in my monument company.

I will never, ever, take things for granted, or have a sense of entitlement.

Locals Find!

i would jump out a window, set myself on fire, and slit my throat on the way down if i only made $50k a year. but i get what you are saying. my daughters first bday is in 3 months. ill be there no matter what the cost.

70% of American Households make that or less. In this economy you should be grateful for the blessings that have been bestowed upon you.

What keeps me going through winter is the fact that we get busy here in Florida. Summer time is when you wanna run away to any other state but, Florida. Work for everyone slumps badly, we are too dependent on Tourism here.

FatCat

I hate to see it slow down, but the reality is I need it. My business is way up over last year, but I pushed myself pretty hard this year and have been fighting a pinched sciatic nerve for the last 2 months. (sucks doesn't begin to describe it..) Anyway, aside from the down-time, I like having time and focus to do the things I couldn't do when I was busy making the things my customers needed. I have a new work bench to build, a new (to me) keencut substrate cutter to set up as well as working on a revised website and marketing plan for next year.

Farmboy

I hate to see it slow down, but the reality is I need it. My business is way up over last year, but I pushed myself pretty hard this year and have been fighting a pinched sciatic nerve for the last 2 months. (sucks doesn't begin to describe it..) Anyway, aside from the down-time, I like having time and focus to do the things I couldn't do when I was busy making the things my customers needed. I have a new work bench to build, a new (to me) keencut substrate cutter to set up as well as working on a revised website and marketing plan for next year.

Your post is almost a mirror of what mine would be.

David Wright

After all these years I can't imagine working for someone else. Being in charge of this meager company still beats working for another.
By the way prowraps, most in this industry would be quite happy with a take home pay of $50,000, especially in the new economy.

Craig Sjoquist

What does inspire me during times when work is not plentiful and you know you must push forward. Work today eat tomorrow, after 35 years that's the long and short of it for me.

Other trades that I've learned well there are many but sign painting is my best and I'm most enjoy going after finding and doing.

Journalism of what I do or want or whatever been doing this since I .could write, have boxes filled with books of writings. I know it helps me in many decisions

Speedsterbeast

Steve Jobs articulated best for me, but I am proud to have lived this way for most of my life.

What motivates me is "Remember you are going to die"
It may also help put money back on the list a little where it belongs.

Suz

50k is a respectful yearly salary for many. I remind myself daily of how fortunate I am, and how fast that you can go from being on top, to right back down to the bottom.

People may think I'm "New Money", but believe me, I am grateful for everything I have earned. I even bought my parents a 6night trip to Florence & Venice Italy for Christmas, as they have pushed me to be the best I can be, and have helped me immensely in my monument company.

I will never, ever, take things for granted, or have a sense of entitlement.

:U Rock: Yay for you and your parents too!

What inspires me lately? This forum, honestly! I am so glad to be here. Such a helpful bunch!
Happy New Year to us all!