• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Kerning in Omega

Marekdlux

I am trying to set up a file for engraving on our Dimension 200 router. I am using Omega 2.0 to set it up. I am having trouble setting the character spacing. I am clicking on the "Character Spacing" tool and it gives me the two handles on the characters to stretch them out, but when I let go of the handles it goes back to how it was. Any ideas? I've never been able to get it to work, what am I doing wrong? I read through all the info on the "help" file but no luck. Thanks in advance.
-Marek

Tony Teveris

Character Spacing

If your font was created from a TrueType font (TrueType Font Converter) you can NOT use the spacing tool as the font does not hold the same attributes that a Gerber Font does. This is because we wanted the TTF to hold the same spacing it was design for.

If you use TTF Converter and "break apart" a TTF file into mini PLT files and then use Font Designer to build a TRUE Gerber font you will have spacing control.

Marekdlux

Thanks Tony,
I was trying to do it with one of the "engraving" fonts. I'll just remove the smart text and set spacing as needed I guess. It's just that sometimes the spacing is off when I engrave so I was hoping to adjust it a little bit. Is there a supplied gerber engraving font? I thought the one I had was. Thanks.
-Marek

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
You should still be able to insert forward or back kerns with your < and > keys in a TTF conversion.

If you are interested in using the Disjoin feature Tony is calling Break Apart, there is a step by step tutorial in the Signs 101 Content Area with screen shots.

Baz

If there is one thing i miss from my old days using graphix advantage was the <> kerning keys in composer. I sure wish other softwares had this kerning capability.