Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kerning in Omega

Discussion in 'Gerber Omega, Graphix Advantage & MacImprint' started by Marekdlux, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Marekdlux

Marekdlux Member

Jan 11, 2005
    I am trying to set up a file for engraving on our Dimension 200 router. I am using Omega 2.0 to set it up. I am having trouble setting the character spacing. I am clicking on the "Character Spacing" tool and it gives me the two handles on the characters to stretch them out, but when I let go of the handles it goes back to how it was. Any ideas? I've never been able to get it to work, what am I doing wrong? I read through all the info on the "help" file but no luck. Thanks in advance.
    -Marek

Tags:
  2. Tony Teveris

Tony Teveris Active Member

Character Spacing

If your font was created from a TrueType font (TrueType Font Converter) you can NOT use the spacing tool as the font does not hold the same attributes that a Gerber Font does. This is because we wanted the TTF to hold the same spacing it was design for.

If you use TTF Converter and "break apart" a TTF file into mini PLT files and then use Font Designer to build a TRUE Gerber font you will have spacing control.

3. Marekdlux

Marekdlux Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Thanks Tony,
    I was trying to do it with one of the "engraving" fonts. I'll just remove the smart text and set spacing as needed I guess. It's just that sometimes the spacing is off when I engrave so I was hoping to adjust it a little bit. Is there a supplied gerber engraving font? I thought the one I had was. Thanks.
    -Marek

4. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    You should still be able to insert forward or back kerns with your < and > keys in a TTF conversion.

If you are interested in using the Disjoin feature Tony is calling Break Apart, there is a step by step tutorial in the Signs 101 Content Area with screen shots.

5. Marekdlux

Marekdlux Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Thanks Fred. I'll go check that out now.
    -Marek

6. Baz

Baz Very Active Member

If there is one thing i miss from my old days using graphix advantage was the <> kerning keys in composer. I sure wish other softwares had this kerning capability.