• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Kid Proof

drew_psg

We are trying to redo desk signage for a desk at a children's clinic. We installed brushed metal 3m vinyl and dimensional letters on a large curved desk about 1 1/2 years ago and kids keep damaging the sign. The customer doesn't blame us, but is looking for a more durable option. The length of this desk is around 125" wide including the curve. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_7329.JPG
    IMG_7329.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 339

ddarlak

Go Bills!
I'm assuming they are picking off the dimensional letters? how much tape do you have on the back, i would think full coverage with the appropriate tape would be good enough..??..?

Maybe mount a piece of acrylic and do vinyl sub surface of it. Keep the little fingers from messing with it a little more. Could use standoffs on the acrylic. Use a larger frosted piece on the backside and make it a little nicer. Not sure how severe the curve is.

rjssigns

Second surface print or engrave on 0.25" polycarb. Through studs with stand off caps to finish. Once and done.

bannertime

You could just cover the existing letters in a slightly oversized strip of clear polycarbonate. That'd be my first option if the existing letters are still good. No idea how it'd look.

Johnny Best

Solid aluminum warterjet cut dimensional letters bolted to a stainless steel metal plate?

Agree but with laminate stainless steel (Wilsonart carries it) which you can get up to 12'. The kids are eye level with it and the brush metal vinyl is being peeled off. Stud mount the letters with good adhesive, not silicone.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'd be a little leery of anything metal that's left exposed. All a kid hasta do is get a cut or puncture from a corner of a letter and they'll have a lawsuit on their hands instantly.

It's a shame to hafta cover it at all, because it looks like it gets some natural lighting from an open skylight above, creating a nice shadow. Perhaps going the other way and carving into the substrate will still create a nice highlight and shadow then clearcoat the living daylights out of it, to protect it.

DerbyCitySignGuy

We do a lot of signage in hospitals (including children's hospitals) and there's honestly only one surefire way to keep kids from messing up signs and graphics: put them out of reach. Is there a soffit above the desk you can mount to?

If you want to keep what you have, maybe some stand offs and plexi or something to physically block the surface?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
We do a lot of signage in hospitals (including children's hospitals) and there's honestly only one surefire way to keep kids from messing up signs and graphics: put them out of reach. Is there a soffit above the desk you can mount to?

If you want to keep what you have, maybe some stand offs and plexi or something to physically block the surface?

I do signage for our local hospital too and I also do dimensional letters on the soffit where it is out of reach. I don't think kids are the only one pulling at the letters

Johnny Best

If you used standoffs and plexi, the kids would hang off of that and probably pull it down and the whole piece would come crashing down. Not a good idea.