Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kid Proof

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by drew_psg, Sep 7, 2018.

1. drew_psg

drew_psg New Member

Sep 25, 2014
    North Little Rock Arkansas
    We are trying to redo desk signage for a desk at a children's clinic. We installed brushed metal 3m vinyl and dimensional letters on a large curved desk about 1 1/2 years ago and kids keep damaging the sign. The customer doesn't blame us, but is looking for a more durable option. The length of this desk is around 125" wide including the curve. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. ddarlak

ddarlak Trump Hater

I'm assuming they are picking off the dimensional letters? how much tape do you have on the back, i would think full coverage with the appropriate tape would be good enough..??..?

3. BIG EASY DOES IT

BIG EASY DOES IT Very Active Member

Mar 14, 2011
    CA
    Maybe mount a piece of acrylic and do vinyl sub surface of it. Keep the little fingers from messing with it a little more. Could use standoffs on the acrylic. Use a larger frosted piece on the backside and make it a little nicer. Not sure how severe the curve is.

4. SightLine

SightLine Very Active Member

Solid aluminum warterjet cut dimensional letters bolted to a stainless steel metal plate?

• Like Like x 1
  5. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Second surface print or engrave on 0.25" polycarb. Through studs with stand off caps to finish. Once and done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    Depends on what the kids are damaging

7. BIG EASY DOES IT

BIG EASY DOES IT Very Active Member

Mar 14, 2011
    CA
    I like the engraved polycarb idea. Engrave on a clear sheet and light the edge and the letters will glow.

8. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    You could just cover the existing letters in a slightly oversized strip of clear polycarbonate. That'd be my first option if the existing letters are still good. No idea how it'd look.

9. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    Agree but with laminate stainless steel (Wilsonart carries it) which you can get up to 12'. The kids are eye level with it and the brush metal vinyl is being peeled off. Stud mount the letters with good adhesive, not silicone.

10. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I'd be a little leery of anything metal that's left exposed. All a kid hasta do is get a cut or puncture from a corner of a letter and they'll have a lawsuit on their hands instantly.

It's a shame to hafta cover it at all, because it looks like it gets some natural lighting from an open skylight above, creating a nice shadow. Perhaps going the other way and carving into the substrate will still create a nice highlight and shadow then clearcoat the living daylights out of it, to protect it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. DerbyCitySignGuy

DerbyCitySignGuy Very Active Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Kentucky
    We do a lot of signage in hospitals (including children's hospitals) and there's honestly only one surefire way to keep kids from messing up signs and graphics: put them out of reach. Is there a soffit above the desk you can mount to?

If you want to keep what you have, maybe some stand offs and plexi or something to physically block the surface?

12. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    I do signage for our local hospital too and I also do dimensional letters on the soffit where it is out of reach. I don't think kids are the only one pulling at the letters

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    If you used standoffs and plexi, the kids would hang off of that and probably pull it down and the whole piece would come crashing down. Not a good idea.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. DerbyCitySignGuy

DerbyCitySignGuy Very Active Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Kentucky
    That's probably true.