• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Kind of Scary!

WB

I just found out today we're 1 step closer to closing our doors. Times have been rough, phones aren't ringing. We're to small to play with the big boys and to big to compete with the smaller shops, we've gone from 10 employees in the last few year down to 4 back up to to 6. Anyway found out today that this will be our last attempt, we're going to try and down size, get out of our lease and unfortunately lose 1-2 employees. There's a chance the doors may close for good which I hope does not happen but I need to prepare for.

I'm thinking of going on my own if I need to, I basically run the company now. I can run all of the equipment, I know the products, industry, community. I have the contacts. I'm a 3M preferred Installer. The only thing I can't do is design:frustrated: But luckily I know a few!

Hopefully it doesn't happen but I think I need to get ready for the worst!

Bill

GypsyGraphics

I'm thinking of going on my own if I need to, I basically run the company now. I can run all of the equipment, I know the products, industry, community. I have the contacts. I'm a 3M preferred Installer. The only thing I can't do is design:frustrated: But luckily I know a few!

sounds like a tough time & area to start up on your own. are you thinking of buying your current employers equipment if they close?

Letterbox Mike

Sorry to hear that Bill, I've always admired the work you guys do, you're one of those shops I like to keep an eye on for inspiration. I really hope things turn around, but if they don't for your current company I at least wish you well if you decide to go off on your own.

WB

sounds like a tough time & area to start up on your own. are you thinking of buying your current employers equipment if they close?

I think times are tough everywhere, I just think we made some wrong turns at some points. Sometimes you have to make decision to try and grow or stay the status quo, we chose to grow and take the risk.
As for equipment We'll see but I doubt it.. Right now we have 2 older Mimaki's an AGFA flat bed and a 5x10 CNC table. The Mimaki's are easily replaceable and where the flatbed and CNC are great toys, they are expensive machines and need a good volume of work to justify taking up so much floor space.

Sorry to hear that Bill, I've always admired the work you guys do, you're one of those shops I like to keep an eye on for inspiration. I really hope things turn around, but if they don't for your current company I at least wish you well if you decide to go off on your own.

Thanks, I appreciate the complainant. I hope things turn for the better I really do after all my Parents are the owners.

Letterbox Mike

Thanks, I appreciate the complainant. I hope things turn for the better I really do after all my Parents are the owners.

Wow, that makes it all the more difficult. I guess at least you can all face it together as a family, I hope it's something that brings you all closer rather than drives you apart...

Good luck!

SignosaurusRex

That sucks! It's one thing if you downsize by choice, quite another if forced!
Question... In spite of all, would you run the operation any different or do anything different (yourself) if it were your own biz rather than your parents? That may sound like a stupid question but....How many hours do you work? Six employees and you cannot play the same arena as the big boys nor kick some smaller shops in the tail end?
Mindset is a powerful tool, how you choose to use and direct it it is another.