• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Kinda New, Mostly Not...

The Sign Diva

Greetings All!

I have been a working-partner in a successful screen printing business specializing in textiles, with digitizing/custom embroidery, and ASI products. My full-time gig was as an HR Director in a large, corporate organization. I had the best of both worlds until I got downsized 6 months ago. I decided to cast my fates to the winds, and to focus my energy on growing my screen printing business.

I bought my partner out, decided to outsource my tee-shirt production, and created a business plan focused on branching into the graphics end of screen printing and sign making. The tee-shirt business is very competitive in my hometown (Atlanta), and I have mouths to feed (not to mention a shopping habit to support!). Six months later, I've sent my electrician into early retirement, given my suppliers hell, and still have a little song in my heart.

I just got a Saturn press, UV dryer, jumbo exposure unit, cutter/plotters and supplies galore. Armed with my marketing/business plan, a sales background, and knowledge of the screen printing technology -- I'm mostly there.

I'm still struggling with the vinyl cutting software and technology. I bought a used Gerber Fast Track 650 from my 'mentor' (don't ask), and I cannot get it to work with my new computer with Vista. Of course the seller is not supportive, and Gerber hasn't supported this model since ... Christmas 1995?

I'll be posting questions about this situation, as I have been monitoring this site for about 9 months before joining, and feel that this is THE BEST group of experts/technicians available. I've been impressed by the depth of knowledge and mutual support shown on this site.

I hope to find help with my old Fast Track among these ranks; to find support with my 'newbie' questions; and to build some friendships. I promise to share what I KNOW, weigh-in when appropriate, and to pass along things I've learned to my fellow Newbies. All that when I have more than 4 hours of sleep... :Sleeping:Best, The Sign Diva (Atlanta)

iSign

welcome to the sign business...
don't wait till you have more then 4 hours sleep though... I'd rather see you get the information you need now, in the fisrt few hours of your full time sign career.. not in a few years when you get out from under the 20 hour days :Big Laugh

I'll suggest some other Gerber equipment to put on your wish list. I think you would benefit greatly from a Gerber Edge because the artwork set-up &, to a degree, the underlying production concept is quite similar to screen printing. Because of those facts, I think you could be up to speed, quickly getting the hang of doing multi-color spot printing of decals & signs. I started Edge printing about 7 years ago, & soon thereafter sold off all my screenprinting supplies. i had a lot of accounts & have grown my business tremendously with the more profitable, less labor-intensive products i was able to ouput with the Edge.

By the way, have you ever considered creative writing for a side gig :thumb:

Craig Sjoquist

Welcome to a outstanding forum n ppl

agrees with isign

or get.. windows 2000.. for fast track 650 believe that one will work with it but check to make sure

wraps r kewl

signage

Welcome tot he forum from PA....
How does the fast track connect to your computer? you either need the latest version of you cutting software compatible with vista or you need to use another earlier version of windows. Or you could get a cross grade to signlab which is vista compatible and also has drivers for fast track 650.

Flame

Welcome!

Quick word of advice... ditch Vista. Save you a WHOLE lot of headaches. So ditch it... and ditch it FAST!

Air Art Girl

Welcome Diva. I focus on the garment side of our business too. I don't screen print, have a DTG. I use alot of Specialty Materials Thermo Flex on garments that I cut on my plotter. I also have a 40 watt laser engraver, Xenetech rotaty engraver and dye sublimation. Replicator focuses on the sign side of things. Only running Vista on this lap top which does not run any of the equipment at the shop. I know some of my equipment will absolutely NOT run on Vista. Mfgr does not even have a date to give us for a Vista driver. Good luck

The Sign Diva

I'll changing my OS from Vista this week!

Thanks for the warm welcome to the site! :thankyou:

I definitely need to get rid of Vista on at least one of my computers to see if that will help the Gerber Fast Track 650 come to its senses. I am going to teach this old dog a new trick if it kills me!

If anyone knows a good computer tech in the the ATL, please let me know. I will post my longer question about this on the Gerber forum.

Best,

The Sign Diva

Ken

HI Diva..welcome from BC..
A very nice introduction from yourself...hope we can help.
Cheers!
Ken