• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Knowing what you know now...

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Personally, I like small sizes at high margins in an age where most seem to like large sizes, high volumes of square footage and much lower margins. My Gerber Edge regularly produces prints that go for more than $25 a foot at retail and at less than 10% cost of materials. And I'd rather do 10 orders of small items for $100 per order than one bigger order of a larger item for $1,000 because I'll make $900 profit over materials my way with little or no competition and much less with the larger job with lots of competition.

This is where I'm at right now. I've already passed on even quoting for larger jobs just because there are so many shops in town that will gladly underbid just to keep workers from sitting there, that I've been cultivating that tiny job mentality because I wanted the freedom of time that larger jobs destroy like a time vampire. And for a one man shop right now, I don't want the monumental stress of producing 4 digit or more jobs. I've also been subbing out jobs that would require 3 times the shop space and 4 times the investment in materials. I now make more from a couple of smaller jobs than I do with one larger one and I don't have to worry about set in stone deadlines and the hassles I'm not ready to take on yet with such a fledgling reboot of a company. Besides, I'm enjoying doing more creative jobs that make me feel satisfied with my current path ... and with half my shop being an art gallery ... I'm finding the time to paint again and take commissions ... no biters yet on murals, but that will come with time.

Plus, I've been freelancing my spare time out to other shops that don't need a full time graphic designer but need the occasional 'wow' for a client.

TheSnowman

As you know well Phillip, I found out that having quality designs would let me demand higher prices for my stuff. I've gone out on a limb and just had stuff designed for customers that I WANT lately, instead of just using their designs that they did in word, and cranking that out w/o thinking about it. Now probably two years after I've raised the bar and refused to let just anything go out the door w/o trying to improve it, I've got a better clientele, that does way more repeat business, that I can normally upsell. Sometimes I've lost money on it by designing when all they wanted was something that was simple and didn't do a good job advertising for them, but 9 out of 10 times its been an upsell or lead to repeat business because they were so happy with the last purchase.

Another thing I've done is hooked up with a few designers in the area, and other shops that have people asking for signs, but they don't do anything but work with the customer, and I give them a good deal at a wholesale price. It's great for me because it keeps me busy, and I can afford to do it for less because I'm not messing with any work with the customers and them changing their minds 100 times on a $50 job. If I get too busy, there's always subs on this board that I can reach out to for help. I've found that if people are willing to pay a design company to do the design only, they normally don't give a second thought to what the signs cost since they've already invested in a good design. I'm not saying that you should raise prices in this scenario, I'm just saying it's nice to not have people haggling you on your price, and I don't hardly have any of that anymore.

I've been at this almost 9 years now, and I'm 30. It took a long time for people to take me seriously starting so young, on the coat tails of what my 80 year old grandparents had done for 20 years before I bought it. I hung in there (and yes wanted to just get out completely at times) but the last two years have been my most profitable, and the funnest years I've had yet. Maybe part of that "fun" is not having any employees, I don't know. There's sure not a lot of screw ups or drama just being me here every day.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I'm such a bonehead... I'm right in the middle of doing exactly what you want to do... maybe not the same type of signs or work but...

I have enough freelance/drafting work to keep me busy, I always have. I want design work.

Now I have a ton of experience, and know how to put signs like that together. I have taken the following steps...

I've broken my business in 2

1. Design only, specializing in logo design and print while teaming up Gigi who does the same. (website in progress)
2. Signage site, (right now it's design only) We are working on getting an electrical contractors license. (website up)
3. Designed a printed presentation/portfolio that has had great response.
4. Working on an email blast right now to send to existing clients.
5. Working on printed collateral to send to existing and prospective clients.
6. Working on branding/logo collateral for the business'.
7. Advertised in various sign sites.

So far we have ongoing work from 3 new clients since starting the push, after a few weeks, it's brought us a lot of interest and doubled our gross (this month)

I have to say, doing this alone, had been a challenge, but teaming up has brought in her expertise and has made a huge difference.
One thing is having someone to bounce ideas off of, and sharing responsibilities. We are also motivating each other and pushing
the boundaries of our talents...

Our goal is getting work we can be proud of, having an artistic release, and occasionally building and installing something worthwhile.

John Butto

I'm such a bonehead... I'm right in the middle of doing exactly what you want to do... maybe not the same type of signs or work but...

I have enough freelance/drafting work to keep me busy, I always have. I want design work.

Now I have a ton of experience, and know how to put signs like that together. I have taken the following steps...

I've broken my business in 2

1. Design only, specializing in logo design and print while teaming up Gigi who does the same. (website in progress)
2. Signage site, (right now it's design only) We are working on getting an electrical contractors license. (website up)
3. Designed a printed presentation/portfolio that has had great response.
4. Working on an email blast right now to send to existing clients.
5. Working on printed collateral to send to existing and prospective clients.
6. Working on branding/logo collateral for the business'.
7. Advertised in various sign sites.

So far we have ongoing work from 3 new clients since starting the push, after a few weeks, it's brought us a lot of interest and doubled our gross (this month)

I have to say, doing this alone, had been a challenge, but teaming up has brought in her expertise and has made a huge difference.
One thing is having someone to bounce ideas off of, and sharing responsibilities. We are also motivating each other and pushing
the boundaries of our talents...

Our goal is getting work we can be proud of, having an artistic release, and occasionally building and installing something worthwhile.

We are RIGG and we approve the above message.