• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Known Issue: Cyan streaking with Mutoh 1304 - HALLLP!

ProWraps

anyone know how to remedy this? fellers said this is a common known issue with the 1304. and its frustrating because i have another new 1304 arriving thursday, and have 32 full wraps to print (vehicles are already here clogging up my parking lot and shop), with another 118 after that over the next year and they fade from light cyan to dark cyan.

im refering to the vertical streaks that ALWAYS seem to appear when printing cyan. heat settings do nothing, and ive tryed every setting combo you can imagine in the rip, and on the printer.

any mutoh gurus here been able to solve this?

if i cant figure this out, its looks like one mutoh will be going back and i will no longer buy any more.

tgrinds

I had vertical streaking issues with a 1614 a little while ago and found that changing the microweaving to Wave 2 resolved the issue. Also, make sure that the media isn't buckling between the rollers.

ProWraps

i have tryed every wave, to no avail, but i did figure the same thing you mentioned about the rollers. i thought maybe it was a difference in the media height buckling and causing the banding.

my fellers tech rep said, its a known issue with cyan, and the 1304. they attributed some of it to the "jiggling" of the printer as the head went back and forth. anyone with a 1304 can attest to that issue. its like the chasis was developed for the 1204, but is just a bit too light for the bigger 1304.

all i know is if i dont get this issue fixed, im screwed.

Stealth Ryder

While I have seen this issue on a couple of 64s, in both cases the Speed Reduction Belt was worn and needed replacing I have not yet seen this issue on a 54. I have seen it on a 48 as well but the 48 and 54 are designed differently than the 64. When you see this vertical banding, does is go all the way across the media or is it situated closer to the Home (right side) position and clears up further to the left of the print? If you print in the graphics 1 mode does the issue seem to improve? While I don't buy the "jiggling" theory, if this were true this issue would be seen on all 54" machines and like I said I have never experienced it with a 54 but I do believe a mechanical cause can be identified. Has the machine done this since day one or did it start after an extended period of time? if you are sure there is no ink starvation (as the ink lines move back and fourth and preventing ink flow) then I would suspect some sort of speed issue (as in a continuous speed as the Carriage Assy moves from the right to left). Inconsistent voltage could account for this as well as a defective motor or even belt. Truthfully, I have not seen a 54 with this issue ever but have corrected it on other models. Without actually seeing this condition I would ask these questions be answered to rendor and educated recommendation.

ProWraps

stealth, all good suggestions. i have looked into them all except the graphics 1 mode. ill give that a try. i have tryed so many combos, but i think i left out the graphics 1. i did notice when i went down to 540x720 it was reduced as was the ink flow and the quality.

ill give this a try tomorrow.

ive always been a fast mutoh supporter, but im quickly losing steam. this has been a constant issue with all our mutohs (5 now), and its getting frustrating. the last one went back due to vertical streaking and was warrantied replaced with this one. and its doing the same thing.

its getting veeeerrrrry old.

im starting to wonder if these issues are known by the manufacturers and yet they are releasing products with known flaws into the market. we have consistantly had issues with vertical banding on all our mutohs as have many users on this site. if the market is advancing faster than the technology, and manufacturers are trying to keep up by releasing products with known issues, its upsetting.

While I have seen this issue on a couple of 64s, in both cases the Speed Reduction Belt was worn and needed replacing I have not yet seen this issue on a 54. I have seen it on a 48 as well but the 48 and 54 are designed differently than the 64. When you see this vertical banding, does is go all the way across the media or is it situated closer to the Home (right side) position and clears up further to the left of the print? If you print in the graphics 1 mode does the issue seem to improve? While I don't buy the "jiggling" theory, if this were true this issue would be seen on all 54" machines and like I said I have never experienced it with a 54 but I do believe a mechanical cause can be identified. Has the machine done this since day one or did it start after an extended period of time? if you are sure there is no ink starvation (as the ink lines move back and fourth and preventing ink flow) then I would suspect some sort of speed issue (as in a continuous speed as the Carriage Assy moves from the right to left). Inconsistent voltage could account for this as well as a defective motor or even belt. Truthfully, I have not seen a 54 with this issue ever but have corrected it on other models. Without actually seeing this condition I would ask these questions be answered to rendor and educated recommendation.

ProWraps

just on a quick other note...

the printer is new, as are the ink lines, and the printer is on a dedicated circuit. we have looked into the voltage issue, and its ok.

im going to call actual mutoh tech support tomorrow, and i will document their response for reproduction on this site. its important that we know and understand what is going on with these printers from the horses mouth as they can make or break us a lot of money.

Stealth Ryder

I understand your frustration and only want to help. I have repaired hundreds of these machines with different issues but have only encountered vertical banding in a very few, mostly 64 inch versions where the Speed Reduction Belt had worn out. Replacing this on the 64 has always resolved the issue. Again I ask, do you see the issue more predominantly to the right side of the print or is it consistent all the way across the print? If you execute a 'Small Charge' then immediatly print a job does the issue improve for a short time? I am just trying to get pointed in the right direction to troubleshoot the problem.

Oh, a few more questions:

What type of media? What Profile? What Heater settings?

tomence

Dude you were the one telling me that Mutoh is the best when i was saying switch to Roland. I guess i was right, coz i have one Mutoh sitting here and its been pita to fix it comparing to the Rolands. I hope you fix yours but consider Roland from now on you won't regret it.

ProWraps

your probably right. i probably did say that. its a growth of my business and my demands for my equipment that have found the limitations.

i have considered rolands and mimakis. but i see banding threads with rolands on here as well. which is why i wondered if the market is eclipsing the technology in demand of the sales.

one of the problems is my perfectionist core. i want to see a print that is FLAWLESS. at no matter what distance. 1" or 100'. after talking to someone else on here, its brings up the question, at the price that we are selling these at, are they really meant to be viewed at 20x20....

i dunno. i am who i am. if its not perfect, i will not accept it. no matter what i can, or cant, charge for it.

stealth, its 180c, arlon graphics 2 profile (i know, i know, it works WAY better than the 3M 180c icc profile), and the heat settings are 42/42/50.

tomence

This days i don't even know if i want to buy a new printer. Everything new comes worse than the one before. I've seen people using their Roland SP540's for like 5-6 years with no problems, but i've seen far more guys with new printers not even year old having problems. I guess the big names started taking short cuts in their production and don't care about the end customer since everyone else is doing it.

henryp

Try this, print the same file with no wave, (you may see horizontal banding but ignore that for now), see if vertical banding still present. If not, problem is with the profile you are using.

ProWraps

here are some pics of what it is doing. i have a call in to mutoh now. we will see what happens.

Attachments

• IMG_2505.jpg
    IMG_2505.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_2506.jpg
    IMG_2506.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 114

MikePro

starting a thread on mimaki forum, but figured i'd chime in here as well:

i've had this happen to me in the past, streaks in a blue field as well, on my mimaki jv3-160... but the problem disappeared when reprinted.

That was a year or more ago and now the beast is back! This time when trying to print a sage/greenish-grey field.

Anyone figure out where this is coming from? The streaks are not uniform, as they started as 3 vertical streaks in the center, and by the end of a 10' print there were also a few on the left and right side of the print as well (each about 1' in length)
Also, toward the end of the print there's some shorter streaks that veer off in a 15degree angle.

SAFASTRO

Here is my Test Print. It shows Magenta, Yellow, and Black looking solid......but Cyan is all streaky......any Ideas??
Do I need a new head? Can I remove the head and soak it? Please help!

Attachments

• Mutoh 1604 Test Print.jpg
    Mutoh 1604 Test Print.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 89

krzych_mec

Litle charging helps for a while

I have Mutoh 1304 from 2008 and I have vertical band problem too. In my case little charging helps for short time. Do You know what I should to do?
media: ORAJET 3164G with producer profile, temps: 38, 38, 50 C deg.

I understand your frustration and only want to help. I have repaired hundreds of these machines with different issues but have only encountered vertical banding in a very few, mostly 64 inch versions where the Speed Reduction Belt had worn out. Replacing this on the 64 has always resolved the issue. Again I ask, do you see the issue more predominantly to the right side of the print or is it consistent all the way across the print? If you execute a 'Small Charge' then immediatly print a job does the issue improve for a short time? I am just trying to get pointed in the right direction to troubleshoot the problem.

Oh, a few more questions:

What type of media? What Profile? What Heater settings?

Sparky

Please oh please can I get a someone to post a resolution to the vertical cyan banding?

I am running through all the same stuff as the rest of you and changing heat/profiles/media does nothing.

I am looking into the SPeed Reduction Belt replacement. Is that what others have done?

Thanks in advance guys!