• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

L Bearings replacement instructions

Pheck

I need to replace the L bearings on my sp300. Can someone please help me with the instructions and best place to purchase them.
Thank you

Ragnabrok

are you sure you need to replace the linear bearings? it's pretty uncommon for them to need replacing. That being said i've done it twice, but it was very clear that was the only issue.

Pheck

are you sure you need to replace the linear bearings? it's pretty uncommon for them to need replacing. That being said i've done it twice, but it was very clear that was the only issue.

The tech that spent 5 minutes at my house and charged me $95 said I needed to replace the rail and bearings at a cost of around $2,000. The machine is giving me an error code of 0105. It will sheet set up, linerial encoder set up and clean fine, but if you try to test print or do the linerial encoder calibration it gives the code 0105 when it moves about 1/2 right from the lock position. The person I got the machine from had just replaced the scan motor and bearings (looks like he didn't take the rubber wiper ends off the thk bearings before they were installed so I thought I would start by trying to make sure that was not the problem.)
the previous owner said he changed the scan motor because he was getting the 0080 code. After replacement he got the 0110 code and called the same technician out and he said the same thing to him rail/bearings charged him $115. So he replaced the 2 print head bearings and the 0110 code was still there. That's how I got the machine. After lookin at it I discovered the encoder strip was not in the sensor but the steel carriage cable was, so I cleaned and flipped the strip. That got rid of the 0110 code but then it is giving me the 0105 that I am trying to fix without having pay someone thousands of dollars to find out it is now something else to pay him for.
Any help will be greatly appreciated as he is the only tech in San Diego. All others are over 2 hours away.

CS-SignSupply

Wire tension, loose carriage wire connecting the cutting head, limit sensor.

All possible in my book.

Try this... power off and unplug. Uncap the head manually and slowly/gently move the cut carriage back and forth left to right. Do you feel or hear any grinding/resistance?

Do the same with the print carriage and see if you feel or hear the same sound/resistance.

Ragnabrok

Im with Bobby on this one, the bearings i replaced were completely jamming randomly, to the point of needing some encouragement from a hammer to move again.

The drive cable on these machines has a plastic coating on them, sometimes that coating breaks. If it happened to break where the cable is attached to the cutter, you'll have a loose connection. When the heads are seperating, it takes a lot of force to seperate, and if the connection is loose, it will slide on the drive belt instead of separating the heads, giving you an error like a 0105.

Normally if this is the case, you can loosen the connection, move the cable a few inches to a better part, and tighten it back down again, then run a limit position initialize. you may want to try this even if the plastic is intact.

graphx70

Roland Soljet
first, check the carriage, move left and right by hand. Did u feel any resistance?
I have changed the THK L bearing and did not attach the new rubber seal because it has a great resistance, so I took my old side seal that attached on my old bearings. They are from plastic with foam inside for automatic lubrication.

When I got service call 0110 lately, the problem is bad long ribbon cable/ long carriage cable.
It can not read the information from linear sensor. Then I clean the connector tip with an eraser, and it works :smile:

Make sure the linear encoder scale is in the middle of linear sensor. If not, it will be scratched or can not be read.
did you see a red laser light on sensor when the machine turn on?

Do the linear encoder calibration in service mode and limit initialize position. Good Luck

graphx70

Roland Soljet
Im with Bobby on this one, the bearings i replaced were completely jamming randomly, to the point of needing some encouragement from a hammer to move again.

The drive cable on these machines has a plastic coating on them, sometimes that coating breaks. If it happened to break where the cable is attached to the cutter, you'll have a loose connection. When the heads are seperating, it takes a lot of force to seperate, and if the connection is loose, it will slide on the drive belt instead of separating the heads, giving you an error like a 0105.

Normally if this is the case, you can loosen the connection, move the cable a few inches to a better part, and tighten it back down again, then run a limit position initialize. you may want to try this even if the plastic is intact.

When I got jamming, I will check the rail. See if it has been bent, maybe need some alignment. Loosen the bolt on rail and straighten the rail.
Or maybe the bearing has broken. Usually the nylon chain is wrecked like mine.