• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

L25500 and Avery MPI1005

Bly

Is anyone printing Avery wrap vinyl successfully on their L25500?
I'm in the process of testing and profiling a range of media on our new printer and have struck problems with the MPI1005. I'm getting some serious mottling in the darker colours, greens especially.
One of the reasons for buying this machine is the ability to lam right away for vehicle wraps.
I am using Onyx. I tried the profile for this vinyl from the HP website but had the same problem.

Anyone?

RobbyMac

We use it and 1005 SC EZRS quite a bit. Make sure you set your ink limits.
There are avery profiles on their website (need to register) http://avery-us.color-base.com/add_system.php

For whatever reason, we use their 2900/2901 media profile. It seems to work for most of their vinyls we print, and less paper trail on our end.

got more info:
600 2bpp bi
10 pass
dry: 120
Cure: 220
Heat Airflow: 36
Subst. Cntrl: 0
Input tens.: 15
Vacuum: 20
hope that helps

jasonx

That's the one I tried first.
Something weird is going on..
I have my media rep coming in this morning hopefully he has some bright ideas.

Hey I've had the same issues using those profiles on the net.

Looks like those ink limits are set too low.

Try the HP Gloss Vinyl Profile in Onyx in 12p mode with KDOC and see what happens with the same media.

I'm probably going to base a new profile off those ink limits and reprofile it for that media. Let you know how I go once I work it all out.

Attachments

• b.jpg
    b.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 210

Bly

Hey I've had the same issues using those profiles on the net.

Looks like those ink limits are set too low.

Try the HP Gloss Vinyl Profile in Onyx in 12p mode with KDOC and see what happens with the same media.

I'm probably going to base a new profile off those ink limits and reprofile it for that media. Let you know how I go once I work it all out.

Yeah I just tried that exact same profile and it seems nearly right but for a bit of fisheye in the dark greens.

I'm running my own profile now using that as a base.

What's KDOC stand for anyway?

jasonx

I'm not sure what it stands for but to me it seems like a MAX IMPACT setting from Versaworks for the Rolands. It seems to boost everything up in the test prints I've ran with and without it. Blacks are blacker etc etc.

You have any information on creating profiles in Onyx?

Bly

I'm fine profiling solvents and aqueous printers but this is a new kettle of fish.
I'm still feeling my way.
I got this info from here:
http://www.onyxtalk.com/thread-hp-l25500?highlight=L25500

We have been creating tons of profiles for the L25500 for more than a year now. We are working as a Global R&D partner with HP on this particular technology.

Profiling this printer is not easy, in fact it is probably the most the difficult machine we ever had in our profiling lab (we have around 30 here). Once it runs and you know what to do, it does a great job and the quality is high.

Couple of things you need to pay attention to:
1. Use a low amount of light inks. When using ONYX X10 set the gamut size in ink restrictions to coated (this drops the light inks to 20%) depending on your media you might even go lower.

2. Make sure you make some big prints with 'difficult' color bars to see if you temperature settings aren't causing vertical and horizontal banding. We use green, blue, red and a composite gray bar on the full media width and around 20" in height to judge this.

3. The curing temperature is the one that reaches the highest temperature. In case you see issues with the media (waving effect, wrinkling etc.) drop this temperature.

4. In case you see dark banding or coalesence increase the heat airflow setting. The settings HP recommends in the RIP driver are for categories of media, you might need to adjust them.

In general: try to get the light inks down and try to avoid to high temperatures.

Hope this helps a bit. I strongly recommend you to use X10, this makes profiling this printer a lot easier, compared to 7.x. In case you use 7.x you have to enable the OEM Dot pattern and configure your own light ink curves. This is not easy and a trial-and-error process. I attached 1 curve you can import in the OEM Dot pattern dialog, this is a curve we created here and it gives pretty good results with most media. Make sure you set the ink restriction for your dark inks also from this dialog!! Before printing the test file make sure you CMYK (dark inks) are all set to 100!

In regards to the ICC profile:
you can use a pretty low blackstart (between 15 and 20) and a GCR High curve. Since the black drops are pretty small the effect of a low black start is hardly visible. It will give a more stable gray balance over a longer period of time.

In most cases you will need to use the Advanced Inklimit. Read the ONYX documentation on how to use the BIC (Black Ink Compensation) since you will need it. Especially on (non photo) paper based medias (like blue-back and uncoated paper) you will need it.

jasonx

It was easy when I had the Roland guide to feel my way through it :) Got to learn a new RIP on top of it. We'll work it out.