• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

L25500 and graphtec FC8000 - cutting too "short"

Optic

I'm having a weird issue with cutting from the L25500 on my Graphtec FC8000.

Using Onyx X10, I am able to get the cuts aligned at the start of the print, but then it goes off as if the print is too long or the cuts are too short. Left to right alignment is ok so I don't suspect any bowing.

Here's the kicker - I was printing a roughly 24" by 24" piece and the first third of it was aligned well enough to use, but by the end of the print it was off. So I broke my job into several pieces about 24 wide by 6" long and if you can imagine three lines of text, each 1.5 or so inches high, the first row of text across the 24" is fine, and by the third line, just 4" away, it's totally out of whack (cutting too close at the top and leaving too much at the bottom.

Anyone know what setting this may be - and if it's the cutter, the printer or Onyx that may be causing the issue?

Thanks!!

Freese

Are your pinch roller settings consistant pressure?
Is your rubber cutting track in OK condition?

Hicalibersigns

We have experienced the same thing. If you are using registration lines other than just at the corners it seems to get confused. Also if you have any other lines (for example our signmaker had made a slit with an xacto) this will also throw it off. The laser is extremely sensitive.

Optic

Are your pinch roller settings consistant pressure?
Is your rubber cutting track in OK condition?

Pinch rollers - no issues there. My supplier also couldn't get it to cut properly although he was having the exact same but opposite issue (out of alignment to start and the it went INTO alignment as the print cut more in the feed direction.

jimmeth411

I am also having alignment issues with the same printer & plotter, although not as severe as yours. I will be paying attention to see if it gets figured out. what program are you using to cut?

i have a sollution

Have you downloaded the firmware update for your printer. I just got off the phone with HP. I have been having the same exact issue. The firmware update contains a new menu for the control panel of the printer. The new menu selection is solely for bowing in the print. Since the print bows in the center your registration marks read right. But since it's bowed in the middle the cuts stay correct and the print is off so it ends up cutting directly into the print. Download new firmware. Problem solved...:cool1::birthday:

Have you downloaded the firmware update for your printer. I just got off the phone with HP. I have been having the same exact issue. The firmware update contains a new menu for the control panel of the printer. The new menu selection is solely for bowing in the print. Since the print bows in the center your registration marks read right. But since it's bowed in the middle the cuts stay correct and the print is off so it ends up cutting directly into the print. Download new firmware. Problem solved...:cool1::birthday:

Is the new firmware version 4.0.0.4?

jimmeth411

i have the new firmware 4.0.0.4, still getting the f'd up cuts. mine are left to right though, not front to back. also have a hell of a time getting the plotter to recognize the registration points. anybody have any suggestions? or am I calling for tech support by the end of the week?

Freese

i have the new firmware 4.0.0.4, still getting the f'd up cuts. mine are left to right though, not front to back. also have a hell of a time getting the plotter to recognize the registration points. anybody have any suggestions? or am I calling for tech support by the end of the week?
How are you generating the reg marks?

Is it Cutting Master plugin via Illustrator?

The new firmware is version 4.0.0.4. Our original problem was that the left and right sides of the print would cut fine and the center of the print would cut off. At least that's what we thought was wrong. When we laid a ruler down on the print though and lined up the left and right sides to the edge of the ruler we noticed the print in the middle wasn't touching. We then had to go into the control panel on the printer and go to the ink settings. Print quality mgmt and then to straightness optimization( which is an add on with the new firmware). We measured how much the print was shifting and adjusted accordingly. The best way to measure is just to print a straight black line and measure the white that's showing when you line up the ruler. It took a few times but now everything is working perfect.

the graphics co

The new firmware is version 4.0.0.4. Our original problem was that the left and right sides of the print would cut fine and the center of the print would cut off. At least that's what we thought was wrong. When we laid a ruler down on the print though and lined up the left and right sides to the edge of the ruler we noticed the print in the middle wasn't touching. We then had to go into the control panel on the printer and go to the ink settings. Print quality mgmt and then to straightness optimization( which is an add on with the new firmware). We measured how much the print was shifting and adjusted accordingly. The best way to measure is just to print a straight black line and measure the white that's showing when you line up the ruler. It took a few times but now everything is working perfect.

What do you enter into the adjustment menu to get it to correct itself? when you measure the white that is showing, are you measuring in inches or mm?

I am having this same problem printing on the hp and cutting on my roland

What do you enter into the adjustment menu to get it to correct itself? when you measure the white that is showing, are you measuring in inches or mm?

I am having this same problem printing on the hp and cutting on my roland

We measured in mm ours was bowing down so we put a negative mm adjustment and it came out fine. Now though our left to right is shorter than it's supposed to be. Our you having the same issue.

Blasko

Bump. What did you end up having fix your issue Optic?
/ThreadRevive

I'm having a weird issue with cutting from the L25500 on my Graphtec FC8000.

Using Onyx X10, I am able to get the cuts aligned at the start of the print, but then it goes off as if the print is too long or the cuts are too short. Left to right alignment is ok so I don't suspect any bowing.

Here's the kicker - I was printing a roughly 24" by 24" piece and the first third of it was aligned well enough to use, but by the end of the print it was off. So I broke my job into several pieces about 24 wide by 6" long and if you can imagine three lines of text, each 1.5 or so inches high, the first row of text across the 24" is fine, and by the third line, just 4" away, it's totally out of whack (cutting too close at the top and leaving too much at the bottom.

Anyone know what setting this may be - and if it's the cutter, the printer or Onyx that may be causing the issue?

Thanks!!

Snydo

I've been dealing with this for a couple years and all I can say is using higher quality vinyl worked for us. My belief is that the low and mid grade vinyls just cant take the heat. I've had good luck with the Oracal 3551 Super Calendered as far as great print quality and plotting. When I have to run Oracal 3640 though, I run around 10 or 12 pass bi-directional at the lowest possible heat settings to get a proper cure and get acceptable results...most of the time.

Optic

We have fixed this issue successfully with a combination of higher quality vinyl and using the straightness optimization feature in the firmware. Flawless cuts most of the time now. I love this machine.

ProWraps

your material is not stretching. dont forget it is on a non stretchable backer. if your material was stretching, it would be longer than the backer when it came out of the printer.

this is not the cause.

its a setting/user/workflow problem.

i have 3 of the printers and the same cutter. no problems here.

Bly

There's an Onyx 10 patch on their website which fixes some cutter issues... might be worth a look.