• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

L25500 cutting media and strikes

Printheadache

Hi there. Assume you have HP Satin White Paper (just and example) loaded into the printer (L25500).And the end of the print the printer pulls the media back a bit. The printer pulls too fast or maybe - but that's a pure quess - the rollers inside the curing module rotate a bit faster than main media roll retracts, because what we get here is 1/2 inch high wave on the printing table right before it attempts to cut it loose.

Basically, media gets up a bit creating a 1/2 in high arc.

At first i thought it has something to do with the skew but there's no such thing, and the wave has the same height along the whole media width, and that wouldn't be the case with skew as the cause of the problem. I must say it doesn't cause the carriage strike all the time, but it caused it at least once. We tried holding the media outside the printer down (a bit of tension) but it doesn't change anything. Guys, please have a look through your printer's window before it attemps to cut and please share any suggestions.

kyjoe340

I have this problem also, but only with banner material. Your description is better than mine (search my posts). No tech has been able to fix the problem. There is no need for the printer to pull the material back in then spit it out so fast. The only thing i do is be ready at the end of the print to lightly pull the material flat.

moggle

Turn on the bottom margin through the front panel.

10cm or so.

It will then go through the final checks, the print is rolled back in, lift occurs, it will then eject out the 10cm or so which is enough to flatten it back down before the auto cut takes place.

Let me know if that explanations not clear enough

moggle

Pretty sure auto cut being off wont fix it.

The problem is the head comes back across the media when doing its final checks and thus will cause a head strike.

When you have a bottom margin it will stop, eject the extra margin before the final check and head movement.

Suz

Hmmm, I have been printing poster and have had some head strikes and also spots where head has scratched the surface of my prints and damaged them. We're trying to make the proper adjustments to stop this from happening.

We're playing with heat adjustment and the vac adjustment. We've had the cutter set to "off" all along, so that is not the cause.

After head strike, got messages that we had to clean printhead #4, then #4 worked again. Then got messages that #2 needed cleaning too, then messages that it failed. Swaped #2 head with #1 head, then the message switched and said #1 print head failed. So, we narrowed that down, failed print head!! Called HP, they are sending out 2 new cyan/light cyan print heads. Just one of them failed, but they are sending two.

HP Tech suggested setting "sleep time" on machine to 1-1/2 hours to help increase life of print heads, he also mentioned that they are coming up with yet another firmware update soon and suggested getting it.

Just to get my jobs done over the weekend, I spent a good part of the day driving to Seattle and back to pick up a new cyan/light cyan printhead. Printer is working now, and thank goodness we got our weekend printing done.

New print heads will come today from HP. Glad they covered it!