• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

L25500 Print Head Issues

Fastsigns2041

Fastsigns Palm Harbor
Quick story of my situation:

My L25500 has been rejecting and telling me to replace print heads at what seemed to me to be premature. Some with as little as 200ml fired. This happened to about a dozen heads over the passed few months. HP was always very kind to overnight me new heads, but still I knew there had to be a deeper issue.

So I ask a tech what would cause heads to fail so frequently and if I could check WHY the machine is telling me to replace them. He had me check the printer information and logs from the web server. Under the Support tab, Printer Information, and All Pages(takes forever to load) you can see what error codes the heads are throwing.

In my case error code 10(overheating) was in nearly all of them. Now my machine is kept in an air conditioned office at 72F all day and night. So it's not like its baking at 90F in the Florida sun all day.

Long story short: HP knows about this problem with certain machines and will most likely send you the newest beta firmware that is supposed to remedy this problem. Which I'm glad to say has worked for me.

TL:DR version:

If your heads keep dropping out and ask to be replaced too soon, check for error code 10, and ask HP about newest firmware.

HulkSmash

Take the heads out, and clean them with a swab and alcohol. It was telling me to replace them a month ago, did that, and they're still clocking.

Freese

Take the heads out, and clean them with a swab and alcohol. It was telling me to replace them a month ago, did that, and they're still clocking.

This works sometimes.

Sometimes you just have to have HP overnight one, which has NEVER been an issue.

It does sound like the new firmware is helping.

E36

I am seeing similar problem at my side. Would you mind to share what is the beta firmware version that solved this issue? Need to communicate with HP on this.

Fastsigns2041

Fastsigns Palm Harbor
They sent me 4.0.1.4b at the beginning of the month.

It does have several bugs that I've reported. And they will inform you of any others BEFORE you choose to install it, if they release it to you.

Mostly minor, one is the machine mechanics will lock up if left in sleep mode after an extended period of time such as over the weekend. The machine will need to be reset from the power switch on the back. The workaround for this is to turn sleep mode off.

The other one I found is the machine will tend to "unload itself". Nothing major and will only happen if you select unknown media length, have intensive printhead maintenance on and use the form feed and cut option. when you cut the media, it will rewind to just before the pinch rollers. If you leave the machine idle for sometime(anywhere from a few hours to overnight) it will routinely do the printhead maintenance and kind of forget media position and rewind it a little further each time, eventually going back past the rollers.

But none of my printheads have overheated or dropped out since I installed it. And I run my machine overnight printing 150' rolls unattended all the time.

jens

same problem here,
i noticed the printheads are not functioning at 3.5 liter, and before i printed more than 10 liters with them. We are always running at 8 pass, cleaned the contacts etc... verry strange. looks like the refilling of the printhead does not happen enough. Printer has more than 15.000 square feet. Witch firmware do you have ? mine is : 04.00.00.04 /9 May 2011

E36

I'm running 4.0.0.4 as well. I am seeing this issues on the 1st and 2nd slot of printhead (from left). How about you guys?

Suz

Okay, I know this is an older post, but for what it is worth I will add that I have had similar experiences with my L25500.

After struggling since the beginning with this printer, it turns out all print heads were bad and HP sent a full set of replacements. HP Technician helped me online, updated my firmware, now it seems to be printing with no issues.

I may hang onto the old printheads though, and clean them up (like Colorado did above) and use for temporary replacements just incase!!

So, I think the firmware update has helped. Yay! Hopefully this post will help others struggling with the same problems.

Fastsigns2041

Fastsigns Palm Harbor
I'm running some beta firmware now that addresses an issue with media length tracking I was having. HP techs and customer service have been top notch for me. They even send me free inks and heads for my troubles.

Fastsigns2041

Fastsigns Palm Harbor
Its good customer care. It is nice to get replacements right away, even if you have stock. Right now I stock 2 carts of each color and 2 heads each color. Some people don't really want to keep nearly 2 grand of inventory "just in case".

ProWraps

we typically stock about 24-30 carts at any given time, 12-18 heads, and 4-6 cleaning carts.

typically we buy our suppliers out when we order.. why? because there is no way im going to let my business lose thousands of $ over not having any of those things.

i also have a STOCKPILE of bad premature heads and carts...

problem is, i have no idea who you call at HP to get them replaced :sad face:

Suz

I'm hoping now to make enough $ with my printer to stockpile all the consumables needed to keep my machine running!!! :) I should probably not say "just incase" and change it to "just because"... haha!

ProColorGraphics

we typically stock about 24-30 carts at any given time, 12-18 heads, and 4-6 cleaning carts.

typically we buy our suppliers out when we order.. why? because there is no way im going to let my business lose thousands of $ over not having any of those things.

i also have a STOCKPILE of bad premature heads and carts...

problem is, i have no idea who you call at HP to get them replaced :sad face:

I just call this number: 1-800-334-5144 (HP Tech Support) whenever I have a problem. They are always easy to work with and will send out a replacement right away. You should at least be able to get some replacements from your bad parts.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
problem is, i have no idea who you call at HP to get them replaced

am i reading correctly that when you have a head go bad, you purchase one yourself instead of calling HP and having them send you one for free?

it's only happened to me twice, but it was on my doorstep the next day.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
We had an instance on our 850 that the head took a minor hit on some vinyl banner...and required that we replace it. We could not understand why this happened...but had nothing but good things to say about HP support with it. We had to jump through their hoops so to speak for the info they needed...but once that was taken care of....but like ddarlak said, it was at our doorstep the next day.

Suz

Matt, I was wondering, what if the machine was not under warranty, but the heads were still fairly new? Wonder if they'd replace them if they don't last as long as they should. Hope so.