• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

L25500 Scrap Printing

SAR.Summerlin

So I have been looking online all day and can't find an answer so I am reaching out to the wonderful people of Signs 101.

Is there a way to load a piece of "scrap" material such as a 3'x4' piece of 13oz banner to print on. Every time I try it tells me that the alignment is off and that the material is detached from the core and this may affect print quality.

Any help is welcomed.

:thankyou:

While you can print on pieces of 'scrap' media, it is generally a poor idea on most roll-fed large-format printers. This is because there is generally at least one (if not more than one) rough hand-cut side which is more prone to causing head strikes and other problems, such as transfer of fibers from the ragged edge on to the print carriage.

Most manufacturers of large-format printers discourage the practice for those reasons.

You are of course free to try, but do so at your own risk, with your eyes open to the potential dangers.

sowinski_t

Tape it to the leading edge of a different roll of media so it "thinks" it's attached to a roll still. Should be the same width, or slightly narrower than your scrap piece.